DPF removal? Better think again!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

DPF removal? Better think again!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you probably know the MOT regs in the UK were changed in February 2014 to include a check for the presence of the Diesel Particulate Filter for Diesel cars fitted with these by the manufacturer and if it isn't there, it's a fail.

Some garages were offering to either remove the whole thing or 'gut' the filter and weld up the casing, to make it apear that that the filter was in fact there. Currently, MOT testers only have to undertake a visual inspection of the Filter, as there isn't a test at present to detect whether the filter is there and is operational.

This topic was covered recently in an article by The Guardian. Given how widespread DPF removal / gutting is, it now looks like the Government have commisioned research to actually perform a test for the presence / operation of the DPF. They may look at ways to adapt the current smoke test to check the DPF is doing its job.

Apart from the detrimental impact on health, the article also mentions that it it is an offence to drive the vehicle without a DPF (if originally fitted) and could also invalidate your insurance if you have not declared its removal.
The DfT has commissioned research on how existing or new technology can be used to detect DPF removal by measuring exhaust fumes. One possibility is adapting the use of the equipment that performs the current MOT smoke test to make it more sensitive. The findings may be implemented as part of changes to the Roadworthiness Directive, which sets the framework for MOT testing, and is scheduled to be introduced in the UK in 2017-18.
I've just spent the last couple of hours looking at other Forums, regarding this and it is surprising how many owners have already had this done - but who are now contemplating the financial impact of possibly having to fork out to get the DPFs reinstated again along with all the ECU mods and additional kit.

I thought it worth a mention, as it was innevitable that to enforce the ruling there simply had to be more than a visual check for the filter - and this could be the start of it, so anyone still contemplating DPF removal or gutting - you may want to reconsider :-D
Link:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -transport
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bick

Re: DPF removal? Better think again!

Post by Bick »

Finding a decent sympathetic MOT tester is going to be the answer to people with diesel cars that only do short journeys or sell it and buy a petrol.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: DPF removal? Better think again!

Post by BenC5HDi »

Bick wrote:Finding a decent sympathetic MOT tester is going to be the answer to people with diesel cars that only do short journeys or sell it and buy a petrol.
You'll not find a sympathetic tester who'll ignore that. Imagine I was a VOSA inspector doing a blind test at an MOT station? Loss of MOT testing licence, loss of money. . Loss if livelihood?

Not a chance.

It's all very well finding a tester who's sympathetic to a slightly worn bush or a bit of corrosion as that's essentially "at the testers discretion". A missing piece of legally required equipment is not....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I wonder how many scrap yards are going to get visited by desperate DPF buyers?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Same BS was in the news also in Finland recently. And just as my DPF might have to be changed (got depollution system faulty error for the first time yesterday). I considered very seriously about remapping and DPF removal. More bhp and higher mpg, that's very tempting. DPF removal might drop consumption 1l/100km and that's quite much. I wonder what environmentalists think about DPF wasting a lot of fuel? :P
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bick wrote:Finding a decent sympathetic MOT tester is going to be the answer to people with diesel cars that only do short journeys or sell it and buy a petrol.
When you consider the DPF filter can last anywhere up to 120,000 miles or more - it's certainly done its job. But there are companies out there who will clean the filter for you - that's far less than a brand new DPF and less than the £250 these garages were charging to remove / gut the DPF. Plus the Eolys top up at about 80,000 miles - that's not a big ask - less than the price of 2 decent tyres!

Marc
BenC5HDi
Not Mike

Post by BenC5HDi »

Xantippa wrote:Same BS was in the news also in Finland recently. And just as my DPF might have to be changed (got depollution system faulty error for the first time yesterday). I considered very seriously about remapping and DPF removal. More bhp and higher mpg, that's very tempting. DPF removal might drop consumption 1l/100km and that's quite much. I wonder what environmentalists think about DPF wasting a lot of fuel? :P
If you don't like the cost of maintenance, sell the car and buy one you can afford to maintain instead of shirking your responsibilities and polluting the place for the rest of us.

BenC5HDi
Not Mike

Post by BenC5HDi »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
When you consider the DPF filter can last anywhere up to 120,000 miles or more - it's certainly done its job. But there are companies out there who will clean the filter for you - that's far less than a brand new DPF and less than the £250 these garages were charging to remove / gut the DPF. Plus the Eolys top up at about 80,000 miles - that's not a big ask - less than the price of 2 decent tyres!
Exactly.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Xantippa wrote:Same BS was in the news also in Finland recently. And just as my DPF might have to be changed (got depollution system faulty error for the first time yesterday). I considered very seriously about remapping and DPF removal. More bhp and higher mpg, that's very tempting. DPF removal might drop consumption 1l/100km and that's quite much. I wonder what environmentalists think about DPF wasting a lot of fuel? :P
That's a no brainer - think of all the carcinogens in the particulate matter that would be pumped into your neighbourhood! Not so good - It shouldn't always be about MPG and BHP - and I'm not a tree hugger by the way - just a dose of common sense! :-D

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am on the side of "it is part of the car and should be budgeted for as part of the overall cost of ownership"
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It's easier to take it off, shove a load of oven pride in it, let it sit for a while then rinse it out and jet wash it out. Job done.

Or more sensibly, a nice long run for an hour during the quiet times on the motorway at a steady 70 with or without cruise on and job done!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I've been looking on one of the VAG sites and there is a mention there of those who have spent a few quid removing DPF, remapping ECU, getting shot of EGR, performance tune, now contemplating the £5k to restore everything if they cant get the ECU mapped back, with all the cost of new parts. At the end of the day selling the car isn't really an option if you don't tell the buyer you've removed all the emission controls and they come to get their MOT! Bang - see you in court!

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

KP wrote:It's easier to take it off, shove a load of oven pride in it, let it sit for a while then rinse it out and jet wash it out. Job done.
Or more sensibly, a nice long run for an hour during the quiet times on the motorway at a steady 70 with or without cruise on and job done!
Agreed - you don't even need to be on the motorway or doing 70 - it's not about speed - you just need to keep the revs 2500 -3000 and keep it in 3rd or fourth (depending on your gearbox) for about 15 - 20 minutes once warmed, that should do it. :-D

It would be good if somebody could do a write up with pics on a DPF remove, clean & replace.

Marc
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

GiveMeABreak wrote: if you don't tell the buyer you've removed all the emission controls and they come to get their MOT! Bang - see you in court!
I see this being a major problem with used diesels for the next few years, both from dealers and private sales.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike

Post by BenC5HDi »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I've been looking on one of the VAG sites and there is a mention there of those who have spent a few quid removing DPF, remapping ECU, getting shot of EGR, performance tune, now contemplating the £5k to restore everything if they cant get the ECU mapped back, with all the cost of new parts. At the end of the day selling the car isn't really an option if you don't tell the buyer you've removed all the emission controls and they come to get their MOT! Bang - see you in court!
I had my ECU remapped recently and specifically requested they didn't map the EGR out..