Xantia Radiator Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia Radiator Replacement

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
Need to replace the radiator on my 1.9TD.
Is it a nightmare horrible job from hell, a reasonably straightforward process, or perhaps a twist of the two? [:)]
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Fox, I did my radiator on my Xantia 1.9TDSX, it took me about 20minutes to do the rad, but I took advantage of having the rad out and power washed the area around where the rad goes and also gave the intercooler a good clean too. All in all about 1hr 15 mins to do the lot.
Make sure you refill your system with a strong anti freeze mix though with the weather we are having at the moment.
Regards
Paul
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

Thats good to know, thanks.
I've just been informed that I may have to replace the intercooler as well. Anyone done this before? Whats that like?
Car suffered an impact with a van equipped with a towbar this afternoon :( Bumper isnt that badly damaged, but the rad is now leaking as a result.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I did my radiator while on holiday. The only problem that I had was the cramped working area. Intercooler is fairly straight forward.
There are different clips that are used on different model xantia. (So i got told) Mine were just straight forward squeeze and release jobs but apparently there is other types that are real awkard to get off.
I did it over 2 days but that was going back and forth 6 miles to the car. It lost all it's water in one go. I had great difficulty in finding a radiator that was fairly cheap. Main dealer wanted £240!!!
Ste
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Radiator available from GSF for about £100 + VAT.
Took me about 1 hour, plus bleeding the engine to do mine. Don't mess about - remove the intercooler inlet and outlet pipes first, and then remove the intercooler and radiator together. I had trouble 'persuading' the bottom hose to come off the radiator after 8 years - this was the push on type. It's likely that if you have managed to damage the radiator then the intercooler will also be burst as it is in front of the rad. Mind you - Xantia TD rads are well known for leaking, so it may just have disloged some crud and made it leak - a timely warning!
Don't forget to refill with Genuine Citroen Anti-Gel (also available cheap from GSF - get 4 litres!) and use a header bottle to refill and bleed to get the air out. I just used a 0.5l Evian bottle I think with the front of the car on ramps.