hdi problem (top end noise)+questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mel

hdi problem (top end noise)+questions

Post by Mel »

My xantia hdi develops a "tappety/top-end noise" between 2000-3000rpm under load. it goes away 3000rpm+. It won't do it all when revving the engine while stationary. Apart from this the car performs normally. Help anybody?[?] Is it possible to reset the ecu to original factory settings, would this help, and if so how would you go about it? Or would fitting a diesel tuning box/superchip cure the problem? Just checked serv p-out and crankshaft pulley was replaced 10k ago. on advise from tuning co. tried injector spray restorer to no avail, they have also suggested air mass sensor fault any ideas on this?
Nigel Darwell

Post by Nigel Darwell »

I have exactly the same problem, sorry don't know why, other threads on the subject suggest the crankshaft pulley breaking up, although I'm not convinced. Mine has being doing it for the last 30k and dosen't seem to be getting any worse. touch wood !!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mel</i>

My xantia hdi develops a "tappety/top-end noise" between 2000-3000rpm under load. it goes away 3000rpm+. It won't do it all when revving the engine while stationary. Apart from this the car performs normally. Help anybody?[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

IIRC a couple of owners has reported this rather strange noise from HDI engines.
The conclusion was that the noise is caused by the injectors - because of the HDI engine's indeed very high injection pressure.
Donno if it could be related to the diesel fuel quality & cold weather fuel temp.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I think you will find that your Fuel pumps and Injectors are electronically controlled (drive by wire) and the noise you hear I think is where the injection timing and fuel volume for that rev range is set by the ecu map. If most of these engines (Cit/Pug) have the same noise, then as Nigel says don't worry.
I've heard this noise in the Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot joint build 2.0 HDI vans, its quite loud, and they are newly plated.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Interesting - my wife's HDi seems to have exactly the same noise at the same revs. I didn't notice it when we bought it (second hand)and when I first heard it shottly afterwards I thought it was like the old "tappets need adjustment" noise. Decided to leave it to see if it it got worse, it never has and just put it down to a characteristic of the engine. Now done about 30k since we bought it, 70k total and no probs and noise is still exactly the same. Mind you it's not really noticeable unless you listen for it
Mel

Post by Mel »

Is it possible to reset the ecu to original factory settings, would this help, and if so how would you go about it? Or would fitting a diesel tuning box/superchip cure the problem?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sooty</i>

I think you will find that your Fuel pumps and Injectors are electronically controlled (drive by wire) and the noise you hear I think is where the injection timing and fuel volume for that rev range is set by the ecu map. If most of these engines (Cit/Pug) have the same noise, then as Nigel says don't worry.
I've heard this noise in the Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot joint build 2.0 HDI vans, its quite loud, and they are newly plated.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Is it possible to reset the ecu to original factory settings, would this help, and if so how would you go about it? Or would fitting a diesel tuning box/superchip cure the problem?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

IIRC a couple of owners has reported this rather strange noise from HDI engines.
The conclusion was that the noise is caused by the injectors - because of the HDI engine's indeed very high injection pressure.
Donno if it could be related to the diesel fuel quality & cold weather fuel temp.
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Your Main Dealer can check to what version your ECU software is, but as I said, even the brand new 2.0HDI really do clatter straight from the factory.
But I suppose someone like Superchips could supply a piggy back chip which has the potential to increase your performance and most likely the noise will still be there or worse.
If they or someone could remap the ECU to eliminate the clatter by adjusting the injection timing and fuel volume through the injectors and I would guess that you will no performance to speak of.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

As someone who runs/maintains loads of the older 1.9TDs I notice this HDi noise at exactly the rev ranges mentioned every time I drive one. It is a character of the engine type, not a fault as such. I do find it marginally intrusive though.
It happens at a rev range where the older engines are on song with the turbo but seem quieter (if slower).
David