407 temp questions

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiaman1
My Cars: peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 135

407 temp questions

Post by xantiaman1 »

hi
firstly i have just changed the thermostat on my 407 2.0 hdi 136, blimey what a job i have never seen a thermostat housing so big anyway now the temp does not sit steady .it will get up to about 80 maybe a tad more sit there for a mile or so then creep up to 85/87 ish before going back down to 80 ish.it will do this for the duration of the journey.i have no leaks and i did bleed the air out, the heater is also nice and hot any ideas?
secondly the oil temp needle seems to take an age to move off cold,maybe 6 or 7 miles but when it does it stays constant.is there a sensor somewhere or is this normal.thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 407 temp questions

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't think that amount of variation is anything to worry about unless it goes well outside that range, it could be due to a faulty temperature sensor or maybe that the thermostat is a bit sticky.

The oil temperature always will rise more slowly that the coolant unless you are thrashing it, with gentle driving which is my norm the oil temperature rarely goes a quarter of the way up the scale.

If you think your thermostat was difficult to change, try doing one on a 2.1td XM, its at the rear of the engine on the bottom right hand side, you can't even see it :shock: once you have done a couple you can do it by feel.

Peter