BX 1.6 Carb

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob the Bus
My Cars:

BX 1.6 Carb

Post by Rob the Bus »

Hello all,
I'm new here so please be gentle with me.
I'm contemplating making a bid on e-bay for a very tidy looking BX 1.6 Athena on a 'H' plate. The car has done 95k and looks very tidy indeed. I've e-mailed the seller about it, and he says that the choke seems to switch off too early, and that the car cuts out at junctions etc, but is fine again after about 10 mins. Also, the car starts fine when cold, but can take up to 15 seconds to start when warm.
Apparently (according to another member - RichardW) the suspension sounds fine, as it takes up to 20 seconds to rise when cold, but when warm it does it almost immediately.
Anyway, I'd very much appreciate any advice that you can give me here, particularly about the cutting out/starting problem. What's wrong, and how much will it be likely to cost to put right??
Many thanks
Rob
Rob the Bus
My Cars:

Post by Rob the Bus »

Just in case you want a butchers for yourself...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 18174&rd=1
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

Welcome, Rob!
(just don't get "sucked in")
rg
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Don't know about the BX but are you Rob from Honestjohn backroom?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Rob -
Exactly this problem was dicussed in this thread :
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5276
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

I'd be a bit wary of what looks like a home made induction kit.. unless all BX's come with an induction kit?? its the green masking tape that looks a bit suspect..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

csk -
In this case not to worry [;)]
It's not the induction hose - it's the heated air intake from the exhaust.
The repair seen simply means the owner is keen to keep things working - and did a fast & easy non-critical saturday repair.
I bet this means the plugs & HT leads are in superb condition - as he knows the hot air intake hose is important to stable engine running after cold starts.
Of course the longterm solution is to replace this hose - a standard lo-cost alu flex duct hose.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Welcome Rob - from HJ I presume? Have to say that it looks pretty tidy and at £26 with a day to go you could get a real bargain! Anyway, Anders (and others here)will sort out the problems for you!!
You do realise that this is the first step to Citroen addiction don't you? What will HF say??!!
Good luck
PhilW
Rob the Bus
My Cars:

Post by Rob the Bus »

Good lord! My reputation obviously precedes me! Yes, 'tis I from the HJ site.
HF says hi, by the way Phil.
Many thanks, all. for your replies and information. However, my brother (DieselBoy for those from the HJ site!) has had a sudden fit of generosity and bought me a (cough!) Peugeot 405. Mind you, it has the 1.6 engine in it, so I may well be back on here before too long...
Cheers
Rob
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

At £26 you could become a 3 car family - or buy it for HF to replace the Astra! Just think how impressed she'd be with that smooooth suspension, the looks, the style, the luxury and cache of a Citroen!! You'd make a new woman of her! (As if you haven't already!)And you could always borrow it from her for your trips "oop Narth"!
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

csk -
In this case not to worry [;)]
It's not the induction hose - it's the heated air intake from the exhaust.
The repair seen simply means the owner is keen to keep things working - and did a fast & easy non-critical saturday repair.
I bet this means the plugs & HT leads are in superb condition - as he knows the hot air intake hose is important to stable engine running after cold starts.
Of course the longterm solution is to replace this hose - a standard lo-cost alu flex duct hose.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
ahhhh i see. that explains that then!
Well i like it it reminds me of my AX, similar age..same colour, looks smart, go get it!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D]
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hi Rob,
Another fellow HJ backroomer!
I think E bay is a great way to buy a cheap vehicle. See how you get on with the 405. It's basically a good car, though the 1.6 engine is not the favourite. Nothing wrong with it though.
If you need any spares for it, a mate who owns a garage has two estates (one's a diesel I think). He was trying to get shot of them but he says he just keeps them for spares now.
All the best, and I'm glad you're sorted now.
Hugo
PS, I hope that golf's going to get a decent burial, seriously though, an entry on E bay for spares or repair - you never know!