Glowplug light Xsara 1.9d

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the plumber

Glowplug light Xsara 1.9d

Post by the plumber »

Can anyone explain why the glowplug light on the dashboard stays on for at least a minute each time I turn on ignition. I know it should only stay on for about 15 secs. I roughly wait 15 secs ignoring the fact that the light is still on then start engine and it starts no bother even last couple of real cold mornings. Should I be waiting till it goes out every morning or is there a fault with a glowplug or relay or something[?]
Car is a 1999 T reg 1900cc deisel estate (not turbo) Great car by the way!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the engine starts fine after the usual approx 15sec's glowtime - then there is no reason to wait any longer.
It seems you have a problem in the glowplug timer relay.
This is an electronics relay with 2 timing circuits build in :
1) a timing circuit for the instrument glow time lamp. This circuit usaully has a build in temp sensor to sense environment (weather) temp for adjusting a bit on the lamp time - ensuring the driver has succes starting the engine first time.
2) a second timing circuit controlling the power relay for the glowplugs. This circuit usually times the glowplugs for longish - up to 5-15 minutes to ensure a stable engine running from cold - and lessen the pollution. On some engines an engine temp sensor is used to control this timing.
Commonly the glowplug timer relay is located on LHS inner wing - with several wires attached. 2 of these will be heavy gauge wires - 1 from battery as feed - 1 to glowplugs for supply.
The symptom could be caused by a cable problem in the thin gauge wires.
Donno if your Xsara has an engine temp sensor for this relay - try look over the relay & the engine for any obscure cables/connectors dangling around.