Keeping a Spare Engine

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Keeping a Spare Engine

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Hi guys, hope you can help with a couple of simple questions relating to my 'new ' spare XUD9 (na) engine which I plan to keep for as long as I run my 405, which with luck will be a few years. Having come from a scrapyard its devoid of all fluids.

Should I put oil in the sump, maybe 2 litres, ie a little under half capacity?
Approx how often should I turn it, is 3monthly often enough?
Is it a good idea to chuck a bit of diesel or engine oil down each of the inlet manifolds, especially before I turn it?
How many turns of the crank pulley is a complete revolution, with each cylinder 'firing'. 4?

It turns fine at the mo and seems to have good compression.

Its complete with RotoD fuel pump and cam belt and came from a poverty spec 306 with no keypad start system (even window winders and no PAS, wow; tell that to the company who advertise a self lifting tailgate on their latest!!). Its missing its fuel filter housing and rocker cover gasket but I'll be reinstating the latter promptly.

I've bought it for 50quid (which includes fitted alternator) partly for 'cam belt change practice', this years will be the first I've done myself; perhaps over-kill, but there's no substitute for 'confidence it'll run again' before you take your only car apart.... and also as a spare in case of future issues with my fitted 240k lump, having realised that XUD's are getting really scarce secondhand now.

It'll be living outside in a sheltered corner, under a tarp.

Thanks for your help :-D
Puxa
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Keeping a Spare Engine

Post by Deanxm »

One turn of the crank is one full stroke of all the pistons but since its living outside i would fill the engine with oil, completely, then fill the inlet and exhaust port with the stuff, thats how i keep my spare XU10, i took the head off mine though and sprayed all the valve gear and mating surfaces with grease and then put it in a thick plastic bag in the shed, it should last forever like that.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would not fill a direct injection engine with oil unless I took out the injectors.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thank You

Thanks for your time & trouble guys, I got a 27mm deep injector socket on its way
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

just a quick shout that I've posted photos of the cam belt end here

for reference by anyone who might value being able to see it clearly, ie 'engine out'. Bottom pulley removed and fuel pump & camshaft pulleys 'locked'. Will eventually get around to continuing with it and actually removing the belt, then doing it 'for real' without the easy access.
Puxa