107 cooling fan

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

107 cooling fan

Post by daviemck2006 »

The 107 seems to have developed a problem. The cooling fan is cutting on and off, only staying on for about 3 seconds, then off for about 10 seconds. This happens when the car is cold, started it today, drove out of the drive, stopped to chat to my neighbor and it's cutting on and off like mad. My neighbour suggests the thermostat, but heater works properly. I think possibly the thermostatic switch for it. Problem is where is said switch liable to be. At least it's simple engineering and plenty room so shouldn't be difficult. Does it sound like it could be said switch to you guys?
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 107 cooling fan

Post by spider »

Does sound remarkably like a faulty fan switch or its relay. I'd have to double check this however if you have a switch in the radiator for it (it will be a simple two pin affair in most cases) then that's the prime suspect. The relay if fitted is rarely the problem on these.

The alternative ones use the engine temp sensor to control it (this is via a relay) but if that was the case you'd have odd running issues as well as the temp 'reading' would be too far out for the ECU to cope with resulting in it providing incorrect mixture etc resulting in bad running.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Has it got AC and was it switched on? This sort of behaviour is normal when the AC is on....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Has it got AC and was it switched on? This sort of behaviour is normal when the AC is on....
My friend Val's Suzuki Splash (cunningly disguised as a Vauxhall) is like this, with the AC on the fans are on and off like anything.... Up and down like a fiddler's elbow...

Interestingly, one of my neighbours is complaining of her DS3 now doing the same thing...

Davie, as the 107 is devoid of a temperature gauge, I'd be tempted to get a Plexia (Pug Planet or PP2000) on it and see what the engine ECU thinks the temperature is in case there's a sensor going a bit duff...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

I've had a look at the wiring.

They have a single sensor (engine temp) which is fed into the ECU. The ECU operates a relay to determine the fan operation. Its likely this is then the cause of the problem, but I'd first do as Jim suggested and see what temp the ECU thinks the engine is at really.

Odd high spikes could cause it. Its gonig to be either the relay or the sender though in 99% of cases. I'd have to check the location of it, it should really logically not be too far away from the battery and fan (between the two!) there are relays inside the instrument panel on these, certainly a lot of fuses but it would be silly to put the fan relay there and run heavy cables needlessly,
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

I can't copy the diagram however there is nothing stopping me making my own (badly!) that looks nothing like the original. The wires are in the correct place.

I'd say examine the relay in the engine bay fusebox after you've checked the sensor output.

As you can see the sensor is fed directly to the ECU, this alone decides what to do about it, by switching earth to enable it. The 'lower power switch' side of the relay comes from the instrument panel FUSE 8, the 'heavy switch' side of the relay power comes from the engine bay fusebox via FUSE 10

In other words, the coil/input side of the relay is shown on the right, the left side is the contacts/output side.

Hope that helps...
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, Helps me too. I'm always interested in topics that relate to one of my cars :D

Thanks ever so much for posting that, most valuable. Well done!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I haven't had a chance to look at it today, been busy on other stuff. The air con is on almost permanently, the windows steam up really bad with hot food in the car all the time. I shall maybe manage a look at it tomorrow. I am considering buying a scangauge for it which works as a trip computer and gives you engine temp and revs etc.

The thing I was just with was an oil and filter on Kerri's astra cdti. Don't ever volunteer to do this. The oilfilter is the most abominable design and position I have ever seen. Oil up my sleeves, on my face, in my hair, absolutely everywhere. Nightmare!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote:Andy, Helps me too. I'm always interested in topics that relate to one of my cars :D

Thanks ever so much for posting that, most valuable. Well done!
You're very welcome. :)

I have them all but as you know I can't really post them 'as is' complete so I thought I'd 'DIY' my own instead. :)
Guest wrote:I haven't had a chance to look at it today, been busy on other stuff. The air con is on almost permanently, the windows steam up really bad with hot food in the car all the time. I shall maybe manage a look at it tomorrow. I am considering buying a scangauge for it which works as a trip computer and gives you engine temp and revs etc.

The thing I was just with was an oil and filter on Kerri's astra cdti. Don't ever volunteer to do this. The oilfilter is the most abominable design and position I have ever seen. Oil up my sleeves, on my face, in my hair, absolutely everywhere. Nightmare!!!!!!
I'd check the coolant temp sensor via diag to see what it is reading as a first step, then if you are happy its sensible look at that relay. As the fan is working then the fuses (at least the heavy fuse in the engine bay) is intact.

The A/C will be fed via the ECU too, in other words, when the A/C is on the ECU will if appropriate signal the radiator fan. A bit like the PSA 'Bitron' setup really but using the engine ECU.

Regarding filters. I can imagine on that. Tell you what is not very nice is the Micra K12 (the 03 to 10 shape) with the diesel engine as its the Renault Clio 1.5 unit. The problem is the location of the oil filter. It looks like you need to unscrew the grill at a minimum for access, in theory if you took the headlight out it would be reachable but that seems a step too far given the bumper probably has to be moved for that. :( :D
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The C1/107 oil filter positioning spoils you as it is perfect..

I personally hate the later PSA cartridge filters such as in Robyn's 207 and so on... Horrible, mucky and fiddly..

Davie, just you wait until you do an oil and filter change on your Activa. They're bloody horrible too...
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

daviemck2006 wrote: The air con is on almost permanently,
Switch it off and see if the fan goes with it.... :)

1.6Hdi oil filter is pretty horrible - prob the same as the one Jim mentions. Getting it unscrewed is not too bad, but getting the disposable cartridge out which is clipped into the lid..... :twisted: Did it without gloves the first time - never again!!
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm away to go out in the car shortly, I will switch off the air con. I don't have time to do anything today really. The astra has a cartridge filter which lies on its side. There is just about enough room between the exhaust and chassis leg to get the ratchet up to it. Once you get the ratchet on it you get about 15° of turning on it, and have to ratchet it every inch of the way off, while the oil is dripping out of it up your arms, on your face, on your hair, in fact everywhere. Ggrrrrrr
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Take it off demist too as that puts the AC on on modern cars, even if the light's off.....!
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

Right, when the air con is on the fan cuts in and out all the time, I hear the relay clicking and fan on, it's on for 8 to 10 seconds then off for about 30 seconds. Put air con off, a sat with engine idling for about 4 minutes and the fan did not come on. Switch air con on and fan came on instantly, and stayed on for about 20 secs then reverted back to on and off again. Does this then mean I have a problem with the air con, which will give icy cold air when required or would this be acceptable behavior for air con.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Re: RE: Re: 107 cooling fan

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote: Davie, just you wait until you do an oil and filter change on your Activa. They're bloody horrible too...
That's the next oil change on the menu now. Chris told me it's due in May, which is rapidly approaching!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2