Help! Citroen Dispatch 1.9D 1999

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NickRB
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch

Help! Citroen Dispatch 1.9D 1999

Post by NickRB »

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody could offer some advice on an issue I have with my Citroen Dispatch.

She doesn't seem to be running right. Firstly, she was sluggish in turning over but finally went after 2 attempts, but when running she had small spots where she lacked power (almost felt like she was taking deep breaths). Last night she done the same but this time she cut out completely. She did start back up again after a couple of turns. Theres no smoke or rattling from the engine. Any ideas?

I'm thinking along the lines of Fuel issue but then I do not know alot about engines.

I've also developed an issue with the speedo and odometer, both do not work although the odometer will flash up every once in a blue moon. All the other instruments work on the dash. Could this be a faulty connection or speedo unit?

All help will be gratefully received.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Help! Citroen Dispatch 1.9D 1999

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

The sluggish starting is probably due to either a failing battery or starter or a poor connection in the battery to engine circuit.

The hesitation could be an air in fuel problem, if you fit a section of clear pipe where the feed goes into the pump you can check, the presence of air bubbles would indicate a leak in the fuel lines somewhere - it could also be that the fuel filter needs changing.

Your instrument issue could be due to faulty sensors or a poor connection somewhere.

Peter
NickRB

Post by NickRB »

Thanks Peter. I will have a look at your suggestions.

If they do not work, could it be the injector? If so, how many injectors will this model have?

Cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

If its an XUD engine its very unlikely to be injectors, they rarely give trouble. It has 4 injectors, one for each cylinder.

Peter
NickRB

Post by NickRB »

Peter

You are a gent, Thank you for taking the time to respond. :) :) :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That's what we are here for. :-D

Peter
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I don't know a lot about these but my Son has just got
a Peugeot Expert Van which is similar to the Dispatch.
his diesel engine sounds a bit lumpy on start up but I put this down to the need for a set of new
Glow Plugs his has 125K on the clock which is around the right time for a new set.
I'm not sure if the glow plugs on these are meant to run on for five minutes after starting the engine
Like some Citroens, if they are dyeing glow plugs then the first five mins of driving until the engine is warmed up could be
a bit erratic. Try pre-heating the glow plugs two or three times before starting the engine to see if improves things
not enough heat to vaporize the fuel at start up might be the issue. sometimes it might seem like she's only firing on two or three cylinders
at start up.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Yes a good track :) does make me want to dust the ruck sack off and say good bye to x7's for a bit :twisted:

:rofl2:
wondered where this post had gone!
sorry all, it was in reference to a track! 'ramble on' by led Zep in another post!!
Last edited by jgra1 on 21 Apr 2016, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
NickRB

Post by NickRB »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I don't know a lot about these but my Son has just got
a Peugeot Expert Van which is similar to the Dispatch.
his diesel engine sounds a bit lumpy on start up but I put this down to the need for a set of new
Glow Plugs his has 125K on the clock which is around the right time for a new set.
I'm not sure if the glow plugs on these are meant to run on for five minutes after starting the engine
Like some Citroens, if they are dyeing glow plugs then the first five mins of driving until the engine is warmed up could be
a bit erratic. Try pre-heating the glow plugs two or three times before starting the engine to see if improves things
not enough heat to vaporize the fuel at start up might be the issue. sometimes it might seem like she's only firing on two or three cylinders
at start up.

The beast starts up ok and the glow plug indicator goes off in just a few seconds. The problem is when she's running. She will run for a second then what seems like taking a breath of air, loses a small amount of power. Then she'll run for a sec ok, take another breath then either cut out completey or do the same as before. I've bought a new filter and some pipe to check for air bubbles, I'm hoping this will be the issue.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

you could check the fuel cut off valve lead on the fuel pump to see if it has any breaks in it or is earthing to the body
somewhere, certainly sounds like it may be breaking down. without a live connection to the cut off valve
which is basically the pump immobiliser, fuel stops flowing to the pump.
if the lead is earthing occasionally it may explain your symptoms.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.