Berlingo 2.0 Hdi engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Berlingo 2.0 Hdi engine replacement

Post by Element »

I have an 05 berlingo 2.0 hdi, all was well until recently the head gasket has blown (confirmed by local garage), lots of gases coming through to the expansion tank, overheating, coolant loss etc etc
So I took it to my local garage & asked them to quote me for changing the gasket. They have said that it would be a less expensive option to swap the engine instead of getting to replace the gasket (head would need skimming, possible head cracks, possible new head req'd etc- & I tend to agree. I believe this engine is the 90hp, DW10 RHY version.
However the idea of an engine swap although relatively simple in theory - becomes more difficult when I live in Perthshire & most of the 2nd hand ones from breakers yards are down in middle England & I can't view before buying.. Add to that is the technical complication:
This engine has a Siemens HP pump coupled with a Bosch rail. There is no 'lifter pump' in the fuel tank & the fuel is simply pulled through the fuel filter from the tank by the HP pump. As far as I can see, these siemens pumps are quite rare as most have a Bosch HP pump - which (I believe) and these use a lifter pump in the fuel tank.
Therefore my local garage is recommending finding a "hens tooth" - a used 2.0 HDI with a Siemens HP pump. I am reluctant to scrap the car as I've put in a LOT of replacement parts this last year - including the reconditioned (fixed) rear axle.
Most of the engines I see on Ebay are from 307's or 206's and only 1 or 2 are from Berlingo's - and of those there's no information on what HP pump it has...

So the questions are - can anyone confirm the Bosch HP pump / lifter pump in tank issue - and has anyone swapped an engine over from a different car into a Berlingo with a different HP pump and did you need to put in the lifter pump as well or not?

I'm even considering buying another berlingo and swapping over all the good parts from mine, funds are limited though...
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: Berlingo 2.0 Hdi engine replacement

Post by jgra1 »

hi Element..

if you have space and a bit of time (or can make them) and set yourself in for a couple of weeks.. I would try to pull the head off and see whats what.. you have nothing to lose..

find the cause of the HGF.

by that stage, if all looks reasonable, skim throw a new gasket in and a new cambelt etc etc and drive on..
I know it may seem like a big job but..
plenty of us can guide you through .. just don't rush, take pics and notes, etc etc..

if you are working outside then its a pain I understand..
John
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

It is a big job to me; but you're not the first to suggest this. It's the kind of job where I'd feel out of my depth. However, I did change the rear axle which was a massive job (for me) and part of me is saying - if I can do that then surely I can have a go at this. The worst scenario would be where I get beyond the point of no return & then encounter a problem. Key thinking in my head is how do I set up the timing belt & maintain everything is in the right position when the new belt is fitted? I have access to a garage so could work in the dry...
Perthshire
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

The cam belt side of the job is very straightforward, I wouldn't worry about that at all..
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Book time is 15.5 hours....! Official procedure is to remove the turbo first, which requires the removal of the subframe. It might be possible to do the turbo without removing the subframe; or in fact just to move the turbo back rather than remove it. It might also be possible to lift the head with the turbo on it - I did this on a BX TD but it was bloody heavy!! I'm sure Paul (citroenxm) has done it without removing the turbo, might be worth a PM to see. If the car is otherwise good - you've not got a lot to lose except your time; if you make a hash of it, it's still scrap!! It will be well covered in a Haynes that covers the engine, eg Xantia - don't know if there is one for the Berlingo or not.
Richard W
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

There is a Haynes for the Berlingo. I know this because I have one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

I'd repair your own engine as you don't know any history of a second hand unit . Yours really hasn't done any mileage for one of these .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

I have the Haynes manual for the car. As it happens, in a moment of desperation I have begun to buy a 2008 model, 1.6 hdi vtr; pick it up next week. Then I discovered my big rhino roofrack won't fit the 'new' car & neither will my 4 'old' wheels with brand new tyres on them... :roll: At least the design of the rear axle looks different so that might suggest Citroen resolved that problem.
So, back to the 2005 car, I am probably looking at either selling it as is - or having a go at the (likely) head change slowly, off & on over the next couple of months and then selling it to recoup some cost of the 'new' car. Need to do some careful study methinks...
Perthshire
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

If you do swop engines just make sure the camshaft sprocket on the new engine is physically the same as the one on the old engine. If not swop them over.Otherwise you may get a non-start situation.This cost me a whole day once.