1998 306 xsi (wont start after accident)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jetski-billy

1998 306 xsi (wont start after accident)

Post by jetski-billy »

hi
my wife had some ***!!! reverse into her quite hard today!!
after the initial shock and inspection of car(bumper/bonnet/front panel etc) she tried to drive it away,
but when you turn the key you get the ignition lights but it wont crank over. we towed it home and i had a look to see any obvious reasons.
i am guessing there is a tilt?? switch somewhere that in the event of a accident it immobilises the car..can anyone confirm this??
if so where can i locate the bugger, i hear a faint clicking when ignition is turned to start,this is behind ns headlight unit near fuses
am i getting close??
any help is much appreciated
scott
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It could be the emergency cutoff. This can be fairly sensitive on some cars. I know of one model (Fiat?) which had the switch mounted under the passenger seat, which was good for keeping it dry but it could be set off by violent adjustment of the seat position.
I assume you do not have the owners manual?
Some cars have a sticker (often behind driver's visor) explaining where the cut-off switch is. It's usually fairly obvious and will probably have a big red rubber covered button on it. I doubt it will be making any noise though. Usual spot is under the bonnet near where windscreen and wing join.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

The cut off switch cuts the feul pump for saefy not the starter so the car should still turn over. Check the earth strap from the baetter to the engine and battery to body work. Regards Peter