C5 (X7) Windscreen Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

C5 (X7) Windscreen Replacement

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My windscreen on the C5 X7 is starting to look like a bit of sandpaper - it is getting very pitted and in bright light it is very noticeable, making you want to keep operating the wash/wipe.

So now I am considering having the replacement done under my car insurance and this is where the anxiety levels start rising. I have just had a look at the service docs to check any special requirements and was even more shocked, as they say the roof console has to be removed :shock: (horror) , which means lamp unit, alarm sensors, microphone, as well as the electrochrome mirror mount to get to the sensors! Heart now racing in the extreme..

These are possible concerns:
  • OEM glass versus Aftermarket Glass - there is a difference as I am informed that it is actually illegal for aftermarket manufacturers to copy the OEM glass - so can never be the same, but will be made to the same manufacturer standards.....hmm
  • Tint levels can be different colours / levels (i.e. dark tint from top fading down)
  • Will the replacement screen have all the noise reducing and thermal properties of the original?
  • Light / Rain sensor modules not being fitted with new gel pack, re-using the old, resulting in having reduced functionality issues
  • The C5 X7 has side trim strips with clips which are recommended to be replaced (whether this means replacing with the existing ones or with new I'm not sure) - will the company provide these and are they competent in replacing?
  • Can you insist on an OEM screen?
  • Technical competencies of fitters to remove and re-assemble your internal trim and electronic fittings.
Not withstanding the BBC Watchdog report on Auto***ss, (vid. below) what sort of experiences have you had when replacing your windscreen by the main companies; have you any horror stories and can you recommend an insurance approved repairer who you can trust with all this that needs doing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... /autoglass
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Re: C5 (X7) Windscreen Replacement

Post by Xantippa »

I had mine replaced last spring at main dealers. Only problem is that light-rain-sensor enclosure rattles a bit sometimes. I think they broke some of the plastic clips on it. Changing cost only 100€ under insurance.

Unfortunately it seems that new (OEM) glass is very prone to damages. I have had new glass repaired twice after just one winter because small rocks and studs have damaged my windscreen. Fortunately repair is free under insurance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the problem see - do you request that the dealer does it for the electrics and trim experience, but on the other hand, let's face it how many windscreens do the main dealer general technicians do a week? Caught between a rock and a hard place!

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My old C5 doesn't have the same complexity as yours Marc but Autoglass (I think) replaced it a couple of years ago.
The fitter was dead on time, was very pleasant and polite, did a first class job including cleaning up meticulously when he was done.
Rain and light sensors worked exactly as before the change.
Done under insurance so £75.

My daughter had the screen on her SAAB 900 cabriolet (looked exactly like a 9-3)
Dealer wanted £1,000. Autoglass or similar £600. Local guy charged £200 and gave her a receipt for £300 to claim the cost from her former boyfriend who broke it.
Again, no issues with the replacement glass whatsoever.

I have heard it said that small indy fitters do a better job at a lower cost than the nationals. Can't confirm other than the SAAB experience.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks Steve - since I originally posted, I've done a bit more research and I'm glad I did: I'm with Tes** this year as was the same premium as last year and still came out at the best price on the comparison web site I use each year. So went to look in my policy regarding Windscreen cover and it said usual bit if you call our number and use one of our recommended repairers - only excess applies £75. So I ran said number, and got a load of blurb. When I asked her to slow down and confirm whether this was Tes** or the glass company - she said this was National Windsc**ns call centre!

Anyway she gave me the local branch number (100 miles away) to answer my questions regarding all the kit involved as per my OP. I did a bit of research on them before ringing and was horrified at some of the reviews on this website: :shock:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Car-Service ... YourSearch

So I called Autoglass just to see if they were on the approved list for Tes** and bingo! They answered all my questions, confirmed acoustic laminated glass and that they are fully able to deal with all the electronics and sensor issues. So as I had used Autoglass before and despite the Watchdog report, I took the plunge and booked it in with a 3 hour time slot next Tuesday. So now we shall see how the job goes and i'll report back in case others are contemplating! :roll:

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Fingers crossed here - I'm sure it is like ATS/KwikFit etc that it depends very much on the branch and even more on the technician as to the level of service provided.
As said, I was very satisfied with Autoglass but it doesn't apply universally.

Here's hoping!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Anyone within travelling distance of Washington...not DC of Course....the one close to he Angel of the North, I recommended C&P Windscreens in the recommended Garages and Services Section.
Had to get a new windscreen for my Xsara Picasso.

Excellent service and price from a firm from Myglaren Country.................Washington :)

C&P Windscreens 33 Swan Road Industrial Estate, Washington NE38 8JJ.

As far as price goes......£110 fully fitted inc VAT.

Never convinced of the "only pay your excess" doesn't affect your no claims, or future insurance premiums approach, and the high price quotes from the "nationals".
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall where somebody on this forum (IIRC Trainman) had to get the windscreen of their Xantia replaced (which means the windscreen scuttle has to come off). When the guy turned up to do the windscreen, he saw that this was needed, and his face dropped, as he knew it was a sod of a job to get it off without damage. His face then lit up when the forum member showed him a nice new windscreen scuttle!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

And that was a Xantia! - wait to the guy sees what's in store for him on my X7 :rofl2: I think I might drop the hint that I'm making a video for the international French Car Forum, so he does a cracking (not literally) job :-D

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Xantippa wrote:I had mine replaced last spring at main dealers. Only problem is that light-rain-sensor enclosure rattles a bit sometimes.
That is interesting, My C5 has been in a body shop for the last 20 days (for a 6 day job), Hond Civic tried to get in the back door, anyway I was loaned an Vauxhall Insignia, nice enough car but very firm and noisy, any way the car had only covered 2500 miles and the trim covering the rain sensor rattled!, now that is build quality that my Citroen does not have :) .

Anyway, Autoglass fitted a new screen to my C4 exclusive (B7) and yes it was like for like, had all the little logos, laminated, soundproofed etc, but I thought the car was noisier afterwards, not for long as I got used to it........................... I even queried it with Autoglass and they said yes it is the same as the one they took off!?!, Oh yes the car was cleaned and no problems with sensors & trim.

Sorry, that does not help, but it may.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

I've had a couple of screens in recent years, not my C5, used Autoglass and both were OK. Also had a couple of screen repairs, one was brilliant one was 'passable'.

Like so many things, be it phone line installation or a boiler service, it probably depends on the person you get on the day and the conditions - if you were fitting a windscreen under a tent in the pouring rain in a muddy car park you would probably want to get it over with as quickly as you can. I don't let things like 'watchdog' reports worry me too much.

Say hello, offer tea and biscuits, give them as much space as you can, be nice and expect the best.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sloppysod wrote:
Xantippa wrote:I had mine replaced last spring at main dealers. Only problem is that light-rain-sensor enclosure rattles a bit sometimes.
That is interesting, My C5 has been in a body shop for the last 20 days (for a 6 day job), Hond Civic tried to get in the back door
Make that 3 members I know of that have had prangs in the last few weeks! - Not too severe I hope Stu.

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Nope, the civic slid along the o/s/r door and deformed the forward edge of the wheel arch, and that was in January.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

Have you tried using "RainX" or simular?

It fills in all the tiny scratches and makes the screen like new (well nearly).

I used to use it on my XM when the screen was in a mess after 15 years; you'll need to go over it 4 or 5 tiimes to build it up but then it'll last for about 6 months - cheaper than a new screen :P

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I find Rain-X smears when wiped by blades so do not use it on the wiped area of the screen..

I use it on all my other glass as well as the "off blade" areas of the screen .
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting