X7 Tourer. Hydractive worth having?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob L'eponge

X7 Tourer. Hydractive worth having?

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi all,

I currently have a 2009 1.6 Hdi X7 Tourer. I have really enjoyed this car and it is still going strong, with the only major job in the last 200,000 km being a clutch change at 110,000 km. Nonetheless, I am thinking of trading up, almost certainly to another C5 Tourer, but a higher spec one (mine is lowly French-plated 'Business' trim model).

Thing is, would it be worthwhile to go for the Hydractive 3 suspension? I can see the advantages for those who tow and so on, but I won't be doing this. I have always found the ride on my steel-sprung C5, which is fitted with 16" wheels, to be very good, but would a model with Hydractive suspension be even better? I have read mixed reports on this. Has anyone driven both so they can make a real comparison? Is Hydractive really worth the extra complexity? For me comfort is the number one priority. I once tried an Audi estate and couldn't wait to get out of it as it was so bumpy and noisy over rough tarmac!

Cheers!
Bob.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: X7 Tourer. Hydractive worth having?

Post by vborovic »

Once again, from the top ... :D ... when everything is working properly, it is a joy and almost the highest ride comfort imaginable ... but, if you're unlucky, it could be that you'll have an immovable car, unless you get it fixed ... there is debate over this, and no general conclusion, it's down to personal preference and expectations (and the available budget to maintain the car)
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I think if you love hydraulic suspension, you should buy one of these whilst they are still in reasonable nick. The 170 bhp diesel is the one to go for, exclusive with black leather & auto. Hard to buy a better & more comfortable car. Miles ahead of the spring one :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Lighty wrote: The 170 bhp diesel is the one to go for, exclusive with black leather & auto. Hard to buy a better & more comfortable car. Miles ahead of the spring one :)
Exclusive with black leather sounds good to me, but I have never had an auto box so wasn't thinking of looking for a car with one. Is there any particular reason an auto is the one to go for? Doesn't the MPG take quite a hit with an auto box? By the way, I live in France, so there is much more of a choice over here.

Thanks!
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Mpg will be worse, I just think the auto suits the car do well. Manual definately simpler to maintain & a bit lighter
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Lighty wrote:I think if you love hydraulic suspension, you should buy one of these whilst they are still in reasonable nick. The 170 bhp diesel is the one to go for, exclusive with black leather & auto. Hard to buy a better & more comfortable car. Miles ahead of the spring one :)
Unfortunately X7 + 2.2Hdi 170bhp + automatic doesn't exist.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

True, that combo was available on the older C5, i.e. :

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... geNumber=3

The X7 model has a 2.2 204 BHP variant, with the automatic gearbox, i.e. :

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... geNumber=3
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

I have a 163 bhp, auto saloon, I have never driven a steel sprung big Citroën, so could not possibly comment. Yes the hydractive is very complex but I can only remember having only had 1 problem in the last 40 or so years, that was a weeping pipe (C5 mk1).
As for mpg, monthly average, 13 mile trips to and from work, with a little local driving weekends, 500 miles a month is 40 mpg. However, on a motorway run (75 mph) get 45 mpg (ish) back Road run nearer 50 mpg.
Stu

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi