Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HPI very strange behaviour on the dashboard on onboard computer.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

veso_m
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003 2.0Hpi

Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HPI very strange behaviour on the dashboard on onboard computer.

Post by veso_m »

Hello guys,

I am glad to join the forum.

I currently own a Citroen C5 mk1 2003 2.0HPI.
In the last 3-4 mounts I've encountered a very strange issue.The issues is as follows.When i start the car there are no issues, but after around 20-30 minutes of driving very strange issues occur.My dashboard starts flashing(stops/starts changes the brightness level various warning lights turn on) the radio starts stopping/starting and also I receive various error messages (Air-bag Failure , ESP/ASR not functioning , Passenger Air-bag Disabled) also my Speedo/Odo either stucks or constantly jumps(Lets say i am driving with 50kph and i goes to 150 kph and drops without changing the speed or either i go with 50kph and i accelerate and nothing happens the speedo stays and it updates after 3-5 seconds).Also when those issues are present my hazards switch doesn't work. I've tried and cleaned all connectors in the fuse boxes.When the issues started occurring(first month) when i turned on the front and back window defrost the issues was not present but now nothing can prevent the issue from occurring(Or maybe now that the weather is warmer this doesn't help i don't know).

Can you give me an advise what should I check and hopefully resolve this issue?

PS.
Sorry about my English , it's not perfect. If there is something you don't understand or need more information , do not hesitate and ask.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HPI very strange behaviour on the dashboard on onboard computer.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

veso_m wrote:Hello guys, I am glad to join the forum. I currently own a Citroen C5 mk1 2003 2.0HPI.
Здравейте и добре дошли на Форума! :welc:
(Hi and welcome to the Forum)
veso_m wrote: In the last 3-4 mounts I've encountered a very strange issue.The issues is as follows.When i start the car there are no issues, but after around 20-30 minutes of driving very strange issues occur.
Well I think you definitely have some issues there!

Firstly, one easy thing to do - are you absolutely sure that your battery is well charged? A weak or badly charged battery will cause lots of electrical problems - especially on the C5. First thing to do is to get this checked. If you remove or disconnect the battery, you must follow the BSI reset procedure here:
  • Have the drivers window fully open.
    Open the bonnet and make sure all equipment is switched off including interior light.
    Close all doors and remove key from the ignition.
    Wait 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery then wait 15 seconds.
    Reconnect the vehicle battery and wait a further 10 seconds.
    Switch on the side lights through the driver’s window.
    Switch on the ignition DO NOT start the engine at this point.
    Hold the lock button on the key down for 10 seconds while key is still in the ignition.
    Switch off ignition and remove key open & close door to test central locking system.
    Start the engine.
Next, if this doesn't cure the fault, you should try and get somebody with a Lexia to undertake a diagnostic for you. This really has to be the next step as it will help identify where the fault is. If you don't do this you could end up guessing and that costs money.

If you can get the faults cleared, and then run the test again, let us know what fault codes you have and we may be able to help further :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
veso_m
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003 2.0Hpi

Re: Citroen C5 mk1 2.0 HPI very strange behaviour on the dashboard on onboard computer.

Post by veso_m »

Thanks for the reply.I will try the BSI reset and if this doesn't help i will check it with a Lexia.

Also to add:
1.The car itself doesn't have any issues(engine running , hydraulics etc.)The only small issues is that i have a check engine light(Antipollution fault).
2.To add, when those issues occur the odometer stays at |000.00|
|000000|
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Get it checked on the Lexia first - make a note the faults, clear them and then re-run the global test to see which faults remain. I'm drawn towards the engine fuse box / BSI unit given that you have so many electronic-related faults in some many areas - the BSI handles all the data communication between the various ECUs, so that and the under engine fuse box are good places to start. They suffer over time from cracked solder joints on the circuit boards / corrosion which cause all sorts of problems. As you've now said the odometer keeps going back to 0 - this would also be a good pointer towards broken circuits.

Get it on the Lexia first of all and then let's see what happens.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Completely agree with Marc. Until you have had the car checked on a Lexia you are just whistling in the dark. I know that you are in Sofia, so I will not post up the link to Lexia owners, as it seems that there are no Forum members in Bulgaria, other than yourself. I hope that somebody in your area who has a Lexia reads this thread, and gets in touch with you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!