Cam belt change blunder, help !

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

Cam belt change blunder, help !

Post by johntom »

Hi
I have attempted to change the cam belt on my 2005(55 reg) 307cc 2.0 petrol (having successfully changed several belts on other cars before). However now the car turns over but won't start (no nasty noises) P. planet says p0341 which is camshaft sensor making me think the timing is out so i have stripped it back down to re check.
I didn't have the correct timing pins so as a last resort I used a breaker bar under the chassis leg to crack the Crank nut - the car started fine then.
I used I thin rod through the plug holes to get the pistons roughly level, which coincided with the exhaust cam sprocket 'key hole' lining up with the 5mm hole behind it, so I used a drill bit and thought all was well.
I couldn't see a timing hole on the inlet cam sprocket which looked like a solid pulley?, also the crank sprocket is on a key way, not floating.
Having fitted and tensioned the belt, I marked the sprocket positions (I should have done this before, I know !), then turned the crank several times and the marks lined up, but what went wrong ?
Also I need to start from scratch and reset the 3 pulleys, if I start with the Pistons exactly level, then pin exhaust one again (which I'm sure is right), I should be able to remove the belt and pin the crank shaft (when the correct crank pin arrives), but what about the inlet pulley
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Cam belt change blunder, help !

Post by xantia_v6 »

Maybe the camshaft timing sensor has been disconnected or damaged?
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

If you're sure you have timed it up correctly, flywheel locked with pin and both camshaft gears locked with pins (the only way)

If so you must have an electrical problem? or what I call an "elbow problem"? when taking it all apart you could have damaged a sensor,dislodged a plug,or in moving wires about you may have identified a dodgy wire and now its broken. Did you disconnect the battery when doing the job?
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi I suspect either (or both) the crank and inlet sprocket may have moved. I am waiting arrival of the timing pin set, however i dont think it has the correct the pins for the cams on this RFJ engine ?My plan is to set the Pistons level (2&3 are slightly high at the moment) then pin the exhaust cam with a 5mm drill, then remove the belt, tweak the crank into position and pin with the correct tool, then work on the inlet cam (may have to remove the cam cover) ?
I originally thought I might have broken the wire to the crank sensor when I pulled it from the clips however I tested ok for continuity.
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

As long as the cam sprockets and crank are locked in the correct place its timed,checking pistons is unnecessary and may confuse the issue.As long as they are the correct diameter anything can be used as pins,bolts,drills etc.
By the way early EW engines with the crank pulley secured with FOUR small bolts,the pin location is at the timing end through the flange.
Later engines with the crank pulley secured with ONE large bolt the pin locates a hole in the flywheel at the back of the block.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There should be a hole in both cams. Inlet (front) is at about 5 o'clock, and exahust (rear) is at about 7 o'clock. Crank setting position is via the flywheel with the big dia pin we talked about in a previous thread. Tensioning procedure says to fit the belt, then remove the exhaust cam pin then tension before removing the crank and inlet pin. Rotate 10 times, and the re pin the inlet cam and check the tension (pointer should align with the notch on the back plate). Almost certain I would think if you have tensioned with only the cam pinned you have pulled the crank round out of synch. At least it appeared to turn over by hand, so there's probably no mech damage.
Richard W
Oldpug
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320

Post by Oldpug »

Surely though if it was just a "tooth or so" out the engine would pop and bang and try to start.? any more than that out and it would have locked up and bent valves.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I turned by hand several times, then tried to start it. No nasty noises were heard it just didn't fire up?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Not necessarily - on the HDi at least, it checks for cam and crank synchronisation, and unless it's there it won't start injection. Don't know how far out it has to be though before it fails the check. In fact the cam sensor is not used for anything else on the HDi and can be unplugged once the engine is running! I agree that it does sound rather like an electrical fault, but it's got to be worth a re-check of the timing as it was done without pins. A google on the fault code suggests it can be set by prolonged cranking, so it may be a red herring.
Richard W
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I think I need to start from the beginning as I don't think the timing is right. The pins have arrived so I will reset it tonight and report back.
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
Just an update, I started from the beginning, using the correct crank pin and a drill in each of the cam shafts and it started first time ! Moral of the story, don't cut corners !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Nice one, bet that's a relief!
Richard W