Difference? Xantia LX to VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

philhoward

Difference? Xantia LX to VSX

Post by philhoward »

Are there any differences between an LX and VSX Xantia apart from the Hydractive suspension, ABS and alloy wheels?
...Or is it just the amount of standard kit included?
The TD LX is going back, as i've got this niggling gut feeling it's not going to be a good car. I want another Xantia TD, but is there any real advantage in going to a higher trim level on an 8-10 year old car?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Phil,
More or less:
LX - Elec front windows + Sunroof
SX - + Elec rear windows, mirrors, better seats, better stereo, most have air-con - climate control on later ones.
VSX - Hydractive + alloys, leather seats an option.
Of course, there are differences over the special editions etc - my 95 LX appears not to have bog standard seats for instance.... All the toys add extra weight and slow it down, and are more to go wrong! I have even seen a version below LX that didn't have electric front windows or remote locking.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Early SXs (like mine) don't have aircon as standard. Agree on the better stereo though - it's now fitted to my TD LX...
SX/VSX also have front fog lights, storage pockets in the back of the front seats (I really miss those), rear door bins, better carpet/upholstery and a drivers side vanity mirror (for all the use THAT is!)
The VSX also gets a trip computer( No it doesn't, it's a temperature display [B)]), oil temperature/level gauge, and that wonderful button that turns it into a bouncy castle...
Stu.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

You say the VSX has a trip computer? Could you tell me where to activate it or otherwise work it.
Thanks
Ste
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Whoops - I made a mistake! The '93 TD VSX I looked at a few months ago had an LCD display at the bottom of the tacho, which was blank when I drove the car. I made the assumption that that was what it was - although I couldn't make it work either...
Just had a look in the manual, and it says it's an exterior ambient temperature display.
My mistake, sorry if I got your hopes up...
Stu.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I had a Xantia 2.0i 8v SX M reg (1994) as a loan car when mine was serviced. It was a bit tatty, but went really well and had aircon and electric heated front seats plus electric windows all round. I was very impressed. It seemed better kitted out than my 1997 P reg.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Well, mine's certainly not tatty, but doesn't have aircon or heated seats. Yes, it goes well, unfortunately so did the matrix - big time[:(]
Mark W
My Cars:

Post by Mark W »

I went for a 1997 1.9LX Temptation partly because I had been recommended to avoid any ABS equiped version. The beauty of this model in my humble opinion is that you can have the air con which we like without the ABS. It has just enough electrics to feel slightly luxurious without having too much to go wrong!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The ABS is great in the snow - it feels like the brakes are doing nothing at all.
And it stops like they are doing nothing as well.
I might have to open the door and try sliding my feet along the road to stop on the way home from work later.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Try the handbrake next time [:D]
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexx</i>

Try the handbrake next time [:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yeah, I've resorted to taking out the ABS fuse before now. Haven't needed to this year.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

So with fuse out you get 'normal' brakes?
Ermmmmmm ---- where is that spare switch I have. lol
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Is it right that simply pulling the ABS fuse will give you normal brakes.
If this is right then a switch sounds like a very good idea.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lhm_leak</i>

Whoops - I made a mistake! The '93 TD VSX I looked at a few months ago had an LCD display at the bottom of the tacho, which was blank when I drove the car. I made the assumption that that was what it was - although I couldn't make it work either...
Just had a look in the manual, and it says it's an exterior ambient temperature display.
My mistake, sorry if I got your hopes up...
Stu.
Wish the ambient temp gauge would work on mine...getting annoyed by its constant flashing!
So far, my 94'VSX seems to have the following over the old LX;
Better seats (but not heated - option?)
Hydractive (doesn't seem to work, but think the extra spheres are flat anyway)
Rear Leccy windows
Better (RDS) stereo (non-functional - replaced with Sony MP3 player anyway)
ABS
Front fogs
Leccy mirrors
Variable Intermittant Wiper
Alloys
So far, so good anyway!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BonceChops</i>

The ABS is great in the snow - it feels like the brakes are doing nothing at all.
As far as I am aware the ABS is designed to 'know' when you are on a really slippery surface like snow and doesn't activate at all. So you get a traditional Citroen sensitive braking and the wheels lock up (which in deep snow stops you more quickly than rolling wheels). Taking the fuse out isn't the solution, driving more slowly is.