Xsara Picasso rumbling noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Daz3nt
My Cars: Xsara Picasso (05)
C1 (11)

Xsara Picasso rumbling noise

Post by Daz3nt »

I have an 02 xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI. When ever I go over 30mph I get a rumbling noise. It sounded like a wheel bearing. I bought a new one and checked both sides and they seemed OK (no play) I changed the one that made the most noise when spinning it which was the passenger side (left) front wheel. The noise is still there. I've been told it could be the differential but I'm not so sure because the noise is the same whether I'm accelerating or decelerating. It does not change unless I'm steering left and then it disappears until I straighten out or turn right. Any ideas anyone? I can also feel a vibration through the floor and pedals when ever I'm not turning left. It only has to be a slight turn left.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xsara Picasso rumbling noise

Post by Peter.N. »

I would say its the other wheel bearing. Very rarely can you feel any play in the bearings as what makes them noisy is failure of the case hardening in the bearing, it leaves a lot of small holes and the noise is caused by the ball bearings running over these.

If it goes off when steering left it would normally be the right hand bearing because that is the one you are throwing the weight on to - but not always.

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had similar on a Xantia - turned out to be a little play in a track rod end amplifying a slightly out of balance tyre. It would be nosy straight ahead, but as soon as you put any left lock on it would shut up. Took me ages to figure it out!!
Richard W
Daz3nt
My Cars: Xsara Picasso (05)
C1 (11)

Post by Daz3nt »

Thank you both for your advice, I haven't checked the track rod end. I'll be checking them today. Maybe worth hanging the other bearing. Failing that is it possible that the mechanic that told me it's the diff be correct?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think the diff is unlikely as the load doesn't change on that when you corner, the only other possibility is the o/s shaft centre bearing but I doubt its that either, I will be very surprised if its not the wheel bearing.

Peter