I Bought a Berlingo. Next steps?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Parquet Kev
My Cars: Berlingo LX 1.6HDI 75 van 2011

I Bought a Berlingo. Next steps?

Post by Parquet Kev »

Hi all I have recently bought a Berlingo LX van 1.6 HDI 2011 plate with 26500 miles on the clock. Seems a very nice van, was owned by a curtain company and was in lovely condition throughout so all in all very happy with it!
Now before getting this i did alot of research on this forum and the berlingo forum and the web generally into the potential problems i may come across such as the turbo going which then led to the service intervals, the filter on the oil feed to the turbo, the injector bolts becoming loose and the inability to completely empty the sump due to the recessed sump plug hole.

hopefully someone can advise me on what i plan to do now:

First off despite the dealer i bought it off stating he had done a service and stamping the book i my self want to do an oil and filter change with Mann filter and Total 5w30.

Remove the filter from the oil feed to turbo pipe at banjo bolt. This would be done by my local garage and they said they charge £95 an hour and cant quote me right unless i can tell them what needs to be removed to get to it. so would anybody here know this and how long it should take a mechanic to do this?

will get a full service every 10000 miles and at the 5000 miles between i will do oil and filter myself.

So does this sound like a good plan and is there anything else you would recommend i get done as i really need this van to last and should do as its still very low miles?

Many thanks
Kev
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: I Bought a Berlingo. Next steps?

Post by RichardW »

Parquet Kev wrote:
Remove the filter from the oil feed to turbo pipe at banjo bolt. This would be done by my local garage and they said they charge £95 an hour and cant quote me right unless i can tell them what needs to be removed to get to it. so would anybody here know this and how long it should take a mechanic to do this?
Hi Kev, welcome along!

A 2011 might be the later DV6C 8V engine which is much less prone to turbo problems - does it have a plastic engine cover with HDI 16 on it, or a fabric cover (which indicates the 8V engine)?

If the latter then no need to remove the oil filter 8-)

If the earlier, then it will be probably 2 hours at the garage. Remove the rad (this makes life much easier!), remove the heat shield from the DPF, remove the DPF, then remove the bottom banjo bolt on the turbo oil feed pipe and dig the oil filter out of the end of it.

Check to see if there is any evidence of leakage around the injectors, but at 26k this shouldn't be a problem.
Richard W
Parquet Kev

Post by Parquet Kev »

Hi thanks Richard for getting back to me.
Mine does have the plastic cover so would be the older engine. My plan is to do the oil and filter then get this booked in asap.

So as you say the later engines are less prone to turbo issues why is this? Is it because they use the new style banjo bolt with bigger filter or some other reason? Do you think its ok to have no filter at all in there or should i get them to change it for the new style part.

Also anything else that i should be checking on this as it is 2011 van despite its very low milage?

Thanks again
Kev
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing that would be a good idea to add to the service instructions is to check the injectors are properly secure and tight. I do not know what the torque is, but if they are tight then there should not be any carbon buildup to contaminate the oil (and find any fine mesh filters to block!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Parquet Kev

Post by Parquet Kev »

Hi thanks for the response. I had this on my list to check myself. People are saying to tighten to 5 nm but I have no torque rench so may have to get one along with some tools I need anyway.

Thanks Kev
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It appears that the cause of oil (and hence turbo) problems on the 16V unit is injector blowby. They are held down with weedy little studs (if you tighten them up do it very carefully!) and when they work loose they allow soot into the oil. There is a revised banjo bolt to replace the original (and which is used on the 8V) which has a much larger filter - however, I would just remove it. The 8V engine uses a much more substantial stud and a horseshoe clamp to hold the injectors in.
Richard W