Xantia fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welderone
My Cars: 1998 Citroen Xantia 3litre v6 . Peugeot 207 diesel

Xantia fans

Post by Welderone »

Right expansion tank all in. Pressure ok but now I need to check to see if radiator fans working properly .Any guidance appreciated on this subject. Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia fans

Post by CitroJim »

The first test is to pop the aircon on peter, they should spin at half-speed...

Then, just take it for a quick blast to get it well and truly hot, aircon off, and then leave it to idle.The fans should soon cut in at half speed and then go off once cool again.

Take no notice of what the temperature gauge says. It measures (effectively) the bottom hose temperature and is not 100% representative...

To test fast speed is hard as it's difficult to get the engine warm enough... If you must then get to the brown temperature sensor on the side of the rear bank (hard to get to) and disconnect it. The fans will then run at high speed... This is a failsafe to guard against sensor failure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Thankyou for quick reply , will try again tomorrow. Peter
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Not the OP, but I do have a fan problem on a Xantia at the moment. 2.0 HDi.

If the fans aren't turning, what's the next things to look at? The three relays above the fans appear to be functional (they go tick happily), the 30A fuse has volts on it. The fans spin by hand.

Is it possible to measure voltages with the relays out to check that things work? What about shorting various relay contacts (ie pins 3/5, what would get closed by the relay)?
Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Put air con on no fans turning what shall I do now. Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welderone wrote:Put air con on no fans turning what shall I do now. Peter
There are lots and lots of Posts on this forum concerning Xantia fans...

Clogzz has written extensively on the subject. Try a search in the first instance...

A common issue is corrosion/burning in the trio of relays between the fans under the triangular cover and also one fan going open-circuit and as they are wired in series for slow speed neither will then run. Sometimes it's just sticky brushes and they can be provoked into life by prodding and turning the fan blades with a stick..

I can supply V6-specific fan wiring diagrams to help if you need them...

You must fix them as the ES9J4 engine does not like overheating in hot weather...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

I'd be interested to see the how the fans and the three relays are wired together - might help answer my question about where to poke it.

I got as far as getting an offset spanner for the fan motor nuts but it doesn't engage with anything I could feel - might not be offset enough. Every time I go near that bit of the engine bay now I start developing a hatred for whoever designed that motor housing - it's not as if it's hard to design it to be removable :-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

evilclive wrote:I'd be interested to see the how the fans and the three relays are wired together - might help answer my question about where to poke it.
As I say, search looking for posts by Clogzz on this topic. His posts contain wiring diagrams and explanations on how the fan relays interact and work to change speeds...
Jim

evilclive

Post by evilclive »

Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Putting car into my mates garage after Easter to have fans looked at.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If the mate needs any advice on the fan operation, just direct him here ;)
Jim

Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Cheers Jim
Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Booking car into garage for fans to be looked at soon. Have tried all I can do still not working, need this sorted as my brother in law wants the car as he cannot afford his Peugeot 308 payments and as he is a mechanic Peugeot trained loves the car . Took him out for a drive this last weekend could not believe the ride and power , he only travels 10 miles round journey each day .
Welderone

Post by Welderone »

Well after 2 days in garage my mate decided to fit a unit that managed the engine fan operation side only . All up and running ok just no fan on ac side. Peter
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I do not think I would do a 10 mile commute in my V6, the extra petrol used when cold will be quite high and they take an age to warm up.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting