Xantia Activa (Oil temperature gauge problem)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Xantia Activa (Oil temperature gauge problem)

Post by nonnus »

Hello guys... I'm having a problem with the oil temperature gauge in the instrument panel and I wonder if you can help me with this.
(pictures below, taken from another users in the FCForum)
The problem is that the oil temp gauge in the instrument panel does not work. I mean, after some miles (kilometres in my case), the engine temp and oil is higher and the gauge does not show the right temperature, it's always as if the engine\oil is cold\start. I changed the Oil temp sensor for a new one (thinking it could be this the problem) but it is not. I don't think that the problem is the oil gauge temp itself in the instrument panel, because when I turn the ignition key (instrument panel lights on) the oil level orange warning light (image "Controle" top right) always blinks for a few seconds, I must say that the blinking never happened before, just when the oil gauge failed. Is it maybe some errors in the central computer of the car, needing to be erased?? I don't know. If you could help, I would appreciate.
Best regards

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Activa (Oil temperature gauge problem)

Post by DHallworth »

In the first picture the gauge with the light at the top of it is your water temperature gauge, not the oil temperature gauge. These must be EU dials as the UK dials look like your 2nd picture with the water temp beside the fuel gauge and the oil temp gauge on the right hand side beside the rev counter.

Which engine is in your Activa? I know the V6 engine has 3 different temp sensors, Blue, Green and Brown IIRC.

Once we know which engines in your car (2.0 TCT, 2.0 HDi, V6) then we'll be able to offer a bit more help.

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

It's a 99 Xantia 2.0 HDI Activa David
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Ok, so which gauge is at fault then? Oil or water temp?
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

When I had X reg HDi Xantias there was no oil temperature gauge. Mind you, the HDi engine is so efficient it takes a LOT before it turns on the fans (other than by switching on the aircon, that is)
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

S2 instrument binnacles can suffer dodgy contacts between the gauge and the printed circuit backplane. The connection is via spring fingers only... Sometimes, if this is the problem, a sharp rap on the top of the dash can make the gauge work again!

Circuits available if needed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nonnus
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 2.0HDi Activa
Citroen C5 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by nonnus »

Yes... I forgot to mention... it is the Activa with the HDi engine, sorry about that... ;)... it's the gauge at the left in the first picture... CitroJim I take off the instrument panel to see the contacts you mention... well I didn't see anything wrong with the contacts between the gauge and the printed circuit in the back... but it is possible, I might check again.
Surprise of mine that the cover in front with of the instrument panel is a single piece, all the gauges oil\gas\speedometer\engine rotation\temp are the same "blueish" printed panel. When I did that I tried to take off the oil temp and engine temp gauges, but the needles in front are too much stuck in the gauges and I didn't want to force because the gauges are very sensitive, I wanted to put the oil temp gauge where is the engine temp gauge to test if the oil temp gauge is working properly because I know the engine temp connections are working... but I couldn't do that afraid to ruin the gauges. ;)