306 heavy steering

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

306 heavy steering

Post by Nikolaymk »

I had never driven a modern car with so stiff steering (this particular 1993 1.6XL did not have PAS. Is this common for these vehicles or is this an indication of a problem?
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I had a similar problem on a 309d with manual steering. I changed the front strut top mounting and bearing assembly and this eased the problem slightly. Remembering the larger and heavier the engine in the front, the heavier the steering will be.
Assuming the tyre condition and pressures, wheel allignment are ok and the correct size tyres are fitted, this will probably ease the situation. The larger tyre size can also make the steering heavy
This is quite an involved job as both struts have to be removed and the springs compressed. I recently changed the same bearings on my 306 and there is a noticeable difference, even with PAS. The pinch bolts on the hub were siezed, which proved to be fun.
One final piece of advice, the flexi brake hose snapped in the caliper on one side leading to an exchange caliper being required. Be careful when removing the unit