Buying a used van and asociated problems.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Buying a used van and asociated problems.

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, I have been trying to find a half decent condition van for my son
for many weeks and after looking at many of them in dilapidated condition
with hardly any MOT on them at all and owners asking what I thought was very silly money

we finally settled on a 2004 Peugeot Expert van which doesn't have a mark on the body work at all.
I don't think it has ever seen an oil change in its 125K and it certainly sounds a lot better with nice new oil.
it will have another oil change in about two weeks just to get the gunk out.

I nearly put 15w/40 in it and wrecked the cat as the 1.9 D diesel unit is very similar to his old Citroen C15 engine.
Fortunately the chap in the auto factors has one himself and had some good advice about oil.
That aside we now have another problem we have a stereo that wont work it is clarion PU-2294A
The serial No begins CL which means that we will more than likely need to pay out for a dealer or decoder to find us a code.
I am of the opinion that we might be better investing that money into a new stereo with an adapter to fit the steering wheel controls.

Can anyone please advise on this I'm a child of the sixties and getting a bit downtrodden by technology these days.
I have fitted 6 x 9 speakers to my old cars and had little 150watt amps in the boot giving enough bass to thump your chest
in the front of the car but wiring in the 80's was easy as there wasn't a computer in site in most cars.

any advice involving the ability to fit an after market stereo and control, it via the steering wheel controls would be very much
appreciated please? I am not afraid of digging behind the dashboard if necessary I have had the dashboard out of my Citroen Xantia
almost in fitting a new steering wheel column and I seriously doubt I need to go that far in fitting an after market stereo.

Thank you in advance.

regards.
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Buying a used van and asociated problems.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know if you can get a remote adaptor for that, have a look on ebay, but its easy enough to fit an aftermarket radio and now they have a volume control knob again which is so much easier to access than buttons I don't worry about the remote.

I have Pioneer radios in my C5 and 406, they were less than £50 off ebay and sound brilliant compared with the originals.

Peter. (child of the '30s :-D )
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Buying a used van and asociated problems.

Post by spider »

Expert van shares radios (at least the early van did) with the 306 range.

Any 306 radio should fit and it will have the appropriate plug there. Typically there's the power plug, the speaker plug and the 'remote control' plug.

I have one of these units actually. Can you PM me *all* the serial and code numbers from it ? I might be able to help you. I can't guarantee it but I purchased one cheaply a few months back "without code but with receipt" and had it decoded in about 2 minutes ;) as there were only two possible codes for it, there are some patterns to it. Its not like the earlier ones where you can actually "do sums" to get the code from the numbers but there is a commonality with some of these ones you have where certain 'builds' all have the same code ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG