Stop light flashing on and off

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Welshy_Pete
My Cars: 306 hdi 1999 + 306 hdi 2000

Stop light flashing on and off

Post by Welshy_Pete »

Hello the stop light started flashing on and off.

When I stopped the car I could hear some kind of motor running with the engine running. I switched the engine off and the motor noise carry on going. I took the battery lead of and the noise then stopped.

But soon as you start the car the motor noise starts again.

306 hdi

NEW UPDATE

Was it the cooling fan running? They put the stop light on when faulty.

The 2 fans both work as soon as I disconnect the blue temp sensor the fans come on full speed.
Corroded multi plug pins for the fan loom, rhs of the radiator looking at the front.

I have cleaned that loom up there was very little corroded in there I used wd40.

The 3 relays were the fans are I have cleaned those up with wd40 also a lot easier to plug them in and out now.

The temp on the car goes to 90 or 100 while driving and drops also. The 2 fans come on but slower so I'm not sure what the problem is at the moment.
Last edited by Welshy_Pete on 15 Mar 2016, 21:35, edited 2 times in total.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Stop light flashing on and off

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I do not know if this helps, but on a Xantia HDi with aircon, if you turn on the aircon and the fans do not work (numerous reasons as to why) the 'STOP ' light and the temperature warning light flash slowly, synchronised. Also on the Xantia, if you switch the heater controls to windscreen demist the aircon gets brought into the loop (regardless of whether it is manually switched on), as it dries the incoming air, helping to speed up the demist process. So, even if the aircon is not switched on manually (but demist is), and there is a fan issue, the lights will also blink in this circumstance.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It does behave the same way as the Xantia. I too was surprised when I first saw a (late model) 306 do this. It usually means the 'overheat' relay has kicked in (if its got the three relays instead of two)

With the battery disconnected (important as fans + fingers = very bad and they can start all of a sudden) :) Not being funny but honest.

If you can get at the fan relays examine them. I can't recall if they are in a 'box' like on the 406 (which you an get at without any removal of any bits) , if you can't see them try removing the central trim piece where the bonnet lock is sat. Examine both the relays and their plugs for corrosion. If you are feeling brave you can for most of them open them (at your own risk) to check for signs of water / corrosion inside. Its rare but not unknown. Alternative is to shake them and listen for water (yes really) :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Had similar problem - center relay cluster plug and base corrosion. Good clean (not easy!) fixed.
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

New update on first post
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The car running now but has a misfire and the heaters are not getting warm just running cool warm on the hot setting.

So would the temp sensor cause any of these problems also others as well?
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

I've tested the temp sensor and connector for readings there fine.
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

So looking at things now the temp goes to 90 fans come on but slower both. Also goes to 100 and maybe 3/4 but the engine doesn't feel that warm also the heaters arn't that warm either on hottest setting.

The car started to misfire a bit as well.
Welshy_Pete

Post by Welshy_Pete »

The loom with a connector on the radiator rhs I can pull the plug out the pins look fine. But the connector joined on the fan part can this be removed separate or does the hole fan unit have to come out?

I want to check the pins on the fan unit connector I can see them properly while on the car.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Removing the blue (usually blue) plug on the thermostat housing signals an 'overheat/no signal'' condition so the fans will come on, this is actually quite a useful test. In some cases they might start immediately in some they tend to come on after a few seconds.

I'm not sure on your last question sorry :( The last time I did one of these it was the older shape and rather than struggle with the bumper I took the radiator out and then the fans that way. The problem actually on that car was rotted wiring but it was on the drivrers side inner wing area where the large round multiplugs were.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG