C5 2.0 hdi 2003 110 - Weird vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KrisoUK

C5 2.0 hdi 2003 110 - Weird vibration

Post by KrisoUK »

Hi guys,

I've owned a C5 2.0 hdi VTR 110 2003 for just over an year now. I'm relatively happy with the car so far. Fitted it with a ronbox for improved fuel consumption and some extra power.

Recently, it has developed weird vibration which comes and goes, I can feel it when standing at traffic lights on idle/neutral or when I try to maintain my speed on the motorway. It doesn't happen when accelerating or coming to a stop. There are vibrations going through the body, but there is no noise, I thought it could be the flywheel, but someone told me if it was the flywheel there also be a knocking sound.

Anyone has an idea what it could be? The vibrations get quite strong on idle sometimes and it's annoying.

P.S. All belts + 2 rollers, water pump and filters/liquids have been serviced less than a year ago.

Regards, Chris.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 2.0 hdi 2003 110 - Weird vibration

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would certainly consider the flywheel as a possibility. On idle, you should be able to feel the vibration through the clutch pedal and if this is quite significant then it could be a sign that it is on the way. Trouble is with these, if you leave them too long when they are on the way out, they can actually disintegrate and cause other significant damage. How many miles have you done on it?
If the vibration eases or stops when you press the clutch in then that is one of the signs that your flywheel is on the way out. They will be able to confirm this when you have the clutch replaced - many generally change the Dual Mass Flywheel at the same time as the clutch given the labour involved. The 110 engine flywheels generally last longer as they are not dealing with as much torque as the more powerful diesel engines, but again a lot of this depends on driving style etc. Is the clutch starting to slip?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 14 Mar 2016, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

Just over 105k. You can't feel the vibration on any of the pedals, it only goes through the body, but if I press the gas pedal the vibration disappears. Could the issue be like some pulley is on the way?

The vibration has been there for over 8k miles now, wouldn't the flywheel be gone by now if the issue was with it? What are other signs that the flywheel is on the way? Because there is nothing wrong with the car, apart from the vibration. The gear changes are smooth, the acceleration is fine, no gear slips and pressing the clutch doesn't fix the vibration, only pressing the gas pedal does, also when I think about it when I start the car it kind of shakes for a second...
Last edited by KrisoUK on 14 Mar 2016, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK, in that case I would look at several other possibilities: the engine mountings - if these are worn, they will cause more vibration at idle. There is no repair for these, some are solid rubber, others are filled with fluid, but its a replacement I'm afraid. My next suggestion is the injectors - these can cause vibration - so it could be worth getting them checked with a Lexia to see if they are within tolerances or reporting any errors.

Marc
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

I edited my last comment, in case you've missed the edit:

" The gear changes are smooth, the acceleration is fine, no gear slips and pressing the clutch doesn't fix the vibration, only pressing the gas pedal does, also when I think about it when I start the car it kind of shakes for a second... "
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well - this is sounding more like a failing injector.
If it happens on idle or pulling away, or is intermittent, then it could be a failing injector (s). The only way to know is getting it on a Lexia and getting some live data. If you can post back the readings when it starts to play up that might help some other members further. There's a list of members with Lexia kit here on this link if you don't have one yourself - just Private Message one of them near you, but it may take a while for a response.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178

Marc
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

It happens only on idle, maintaining motorway speeds and when starting the car, even if it has wormed up. I accelerate to 80mph, let the gas off to 70ish and maintain this speed, it starts to vibrate. (not always, probably about 30% of the time)

Basically, when I put pressure on the engine the vibration disappears.

It's been there for a while already, as I said 8k+ miles, if it's nothing to worry about and the car doesn't breakdown in the middle of the road I guess I'm fine with it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK - as you can see it could be many things, so I would have to suggest getting it on a Lexia and run a full global test, clear the faults and re-test. Post back any faults you have to aid further diagnosis as without this we are really just making guesses. you don't want to be spending unnecessarily. :)

Marc