Headlight Washers

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JPD72
New User
My Cars: Peugeot 205 GTI
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Renault Laguna Coupe DCI

Headlight Washers

Post by JPD72 »

Hi to all,

I hope everyone is well on this Sunday. I have joined to delve into the knowledge of the forum members and hopefully be of some use myself in the future. I have recently purchased a 2011 Laguna Coupe DCI after many years of non-french cars ownership. How many people on here have the coupe? Quite a nice car and spec for the money, but I had an MOT yesterday and it failed on the Headlight washers not working?? That was quite a surprise as most cars probably don't have them. The mechanic said he could here the motor working but the jets were not raising out of the bumper. Does anyone know how this system works or any known issues with it?

Many Thanks

Jay
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Headlight Washers

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am not going to able to help you with this, but I suspect that you also have Xenon headlights. If so (and they were a factory fit, which can easily be checked), they have to have cleaning facilities (the washers), whereas aftermarket fitted units do not.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am not going to able to help you with this, but I suspect that you also have Xenon headlights. If so (and they were a factory fit, which can easily be checked), they have to have cleaning facilities (the washers), whereas aftermarket fitted units do not.
Hell Razor, the law in the UK actually says that if you have HID headlights, they must be selflevelling and have a cleaning system in place. People seem to just get away with fitting after market lamps and either swapping back for the MOT or finding a friendly MOT man who does not know or care.
wikki entry http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Af ... rsion_kits
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There may be an initiation date - my brother had a Peugeot 307 with HID lamps and no washers. (Factory fit, not aftermarket)
He currently has a '52' reg Mondeo and that is the same.
There were no comments on this when he MOTd the cars.

As for the original question, it is usual for pressure in the water from the headlamp washer pump to extend the washer nozzles.
There could be a blockage in the pipes, a weak pump/motor or muck/corrosion in the mechanism preventing the washers extending.
JPD72
New User
My Cars: Peugeot 205 GTI
Renault 5 GT Turbo
Renault Laguna Coupe DCI

Post by JPD72 »

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I think I will have a look at the pipework as the motor doesn't sound if its struggling to me. Now for the fun part, I'm hoping I can get to them from inside the wheel arch.

Cheers,

Jay
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I believe it's an "if fitted the washers must work.." item.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Post by Axa »

Hers a link incase anyonee needs tips around a non working pump on Renault or Citroen, which is using the exact same type of low quality pump.

https://frenchcarforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47266

I've done my best to keep a new one alive for as long as possible by coating the motor and space around shaf with sticky marine greas to avoid moisture creeping up the shaft and causing "death by rust" (as im sure someon is very proud of have beeing calculated to most likely not hapen berfore just after the guarantee have ended :twisted: )

Do anyone know where the fuse and relay can be found on Espace IV ?
(ours is an 2008)

Cheers

Gunnar

Skickat från min XT1562 via Tapatalk
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
seasidesteve
New User

Post by seasidesteve »

Waking this on eup again!

Did anyone get anywhere?
My coupe both nozzles extend but I get no squirt out of the passenger side - I can hear the motors pumping, and I assume that if they extend by water pressure, then there's something forcing it through and being blocked near the nozzles somewhere? But the jets are clear... so can I take off the head and get to the actual pipe behind it easily?