Installing directional Xenon headlamps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Installing directional Xenon headlamps

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

I have a C4 THP make year 2009. My car comes without Xenon headlights. I can get a pair of C4 original Xenon headlamps with the ballast. The car has ESP system. My question is if I mount the Xenon headlights will the directional option work ? Since the car comes with ESP there is steering position sensor.

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Installing directional Xenon headlamps

Post by vborovic »

Not that simple ... you need 2 additional ECUs and 4 height sensors for each wheel ... and a lot of wiring, that's not there in the first place on a non-xenon car

+

Headlamp washing system (2 washer jets, extra pump and a bigger washing fluid reservoir)
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

What are these 4 height sensors and 2 ECUs are used for ? Why the directional option needs height sensors and 2 ECUs ?

Thanks
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

For the xenon headlamps to work properly, they need to get the data of the current vehicle height, from each strut independently ... the data goes into one of the 2 ECUs, which then calculates & transfers the data towards the headlamp motors to adjust the headlamp beam (on halogen lights, you just have 0-1-2-3 dial somewhere near the steering wheel, and that's it) ... the self-leveling must work if you want to pass the MOT .. the 2nd ECU is for the direction (left-right) ... you having the ESP is a drop of water in a waterfall for the whole system to work as intended ... a friend mechanic said to me (when I was thinking of installing Xenons in my car) that the procedure can be done, but that it is similar to installing a hydractive suspension on a non-hydractive car ...
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

I believe the C4 VTS has just 2 height sensors, one on the rear beam (I have replaced this on mine) and one on the front behind the bumper. Don't know what the front one is connected to.
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'll go over the schematics to check, but it doesn't actually make a big difference when you need to wire something that isn't there in the first place ... :D ... 2 or 4 is a relatively small problem in this case
lancia58
(Donor 2022)

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

Can any one provide the schematics and the relevant screen shoots from Citroen service that specifies what is needed ? i.e. ECUs , sensors harnesses etc'.

Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are hundreds of diagrams - we usually need a specific vehicle VIN to pull up the correct diagrams with the specific options for the vehicle - in your case you're asking for diagrams and specs on a car we don't have any info on! The electrical diagrams and wiring are on a separate programme than the equipment, mechanical and bodywork system. As there are too many combinations of specifications / models / engines / trim / it would take ages to find one that might be the right one! If you can find a C4 with the exact options you want, send the VIN through and we can get you something. Do the same with your existing Car and then you will have some diagrams to compare it to. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Lancia58, if you are doing this and want to stay UK legal you have to comply with the road traffic act, have a read of this and the links http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Af ... rsion_kits
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I don't think UK regulations worry him, he's in Israel ... :D
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I was told it was not easy going the other day when I bumped my c5. It had the directional lights fitted, I couldn't fond one at a reasonable price, I could have got a complete car for 200 which would have given me all the bits I needed, but a local man who knows citroen told me not to change the lights from xenon to halogen as it needed alterations to the wiring loom which could affect the whole car.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

daviemck2006 wrote:I was told it was not easy going the other day when I bumped my c5. It had the directional lights fitted, I couldn't fond one at a reasonable price, I could have got a complete car for 200 which would have given me all the bits I needed, but a local man who knows citroen told me not to change the lights from xenon to halogen as it needed alterations to the wiring loom which could affect the whole car.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Not sure what C5 you have but a good few years ago now I converted factory Xenons on a mk1 C5 to Halogen without any problems whatsoever. The car was a European registered exclusive LHD car that was being re registered in the UK but it was going to be too expensive to fit RHD xenon headlamps so just used Halogen lamp units, The connector was identical & plugged straight in. Just had to go into the configuration of the BSI & tell it that it had halogen instead of xenon, The front fog lamps even worked.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

As for the original question, I reckon this should be possible. Pretty sure the C4, C8 (with Xenons) & mk 1 & 2 C5's only have 1 height sensor on each axle. I know the C6 has a height sensor on each corner but I believe this is just for the AMVAR system. Not sure about the MK3 C5. You would need to check the wiring harness near the axles to see if the wiring for the sensors is tucked out the way somewhere.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes replacement for AMVAR is on V6 Mk3 C5s and these have height sensors on the front struts as well as an additional Suspension ECU.
Regarding the Xenon's, these are a lot different from the MK1 C5s, for a start the wiring on later C5s is fully CAN, plus the newer Bi-directional Xenon's are a completely different setup, which is why we were saying you may need new harnesses, and all the other kit and why I don't know anyone who has attempted the conversion for this particular option, as others have already said.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc