Oh dear HDI problem!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

howiedean
My Cars:

Oh dear HDI problem!!!!

Post by howiedean »

My Xantia W 2000 110hdi won't start, yet it had been running fine 10 mins before switch off. I suspected the low pressure pump and have done a bit of investigation.
I've taken off the filter housing and noticed that with ignition on the filter bowl was not filling up, although the pump can be heard to run all be it noisily.
I then gave the fuel tank some big clouts with a large hammer. The filter bowl now fills but very very slowly. I've drained the fuel out of filter bowl, refitted the filter and re primed the sytem (lots of ignition off/on. The engine started once and cut out straight away.
Does anyone know how to confirm the pressure for the low pressure pump and is there anything I can do before calling the garage?[:(!]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Look for any in-line fuel filters.
It sounds to me you have a clogged filter somewhere - even on the pickup tube in the tank.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

[:)]
The only inline filter on your xantia HDI, is on the engine. With one of the fuel pipes off, crank the engine-you should have fuel pouring from either the pipe you took off, or from one of the pipes on the filter, depending on which pipe you took off.(This will last for about 2 to 3 seconds) If this doesent happen it could well be the pump or you are out of fuel. The pressure is low pressure from the pump at the back, so should fill a small coffee cup within a couple of seconds, give or take.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The tank mounted fuel pumps are a trouble spot on the HDI. They just seem to give up for no reason with no warning signs.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You should have at least 2.6 bar coming out of the low pressure pump.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Thanks all. I've replaced the pump, all OK for now.[:)]