Citroen C3 VTR Turbo blown?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

monsieurKen
My Cars: Citroen C3 VTR+ Hdi 1398cc

Citroen C3 VTR Turbo blown?

Post by monsieurKen »

Citroen C3 VTR+ HDI
Manufacture date 09 2012
Cylinder 1398cc
Mileage TBC (im guessing about 45k)
This is my mums car so a bit 2nd hand info anyway your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mum noticed a sluggish feeling to the car so decided to book it into the garage, also noticed engine light on dash.

Booked it into local garage, mechanic reported the issue being Turbo blown, i did ask my my mum about any noises or rattling or smoke, nothing noticed at all, she's pretty sharp so i trust she would be aware.

Anyway im surprised as it's serviced regularly and not exactly thrashed. Ive never heard of a turbo blow this early. Would a diagnostic check indicate turbo blown or can this only be confirmed by a visual check of impellers/bearings? Im just a bit sceptical about it all.

Thanks in advance
Bick

Re: Citroen C3 VTR Turbo blown?

Post by Bick »

Check the turbo bearings for play is first stop
monsieurKen

Post by monsieurKen »

OK so it's something not uncommon on a relatively new car? So it's not something you could pick up using Lexia or similar diagnostics? I assume the only way to get a second opinion is drop it into another garage?
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Blown turbo is not common on a 1.4, the electronic wastegatrs do fail on the later engines.
Could do with some more info from you garage, like why they think it has failed.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
monsieurKen

Post by monsieurKen »

Also found out mileage was 23k back in sept (last MOT) so lets say 30k now at the very most. Ok will call garage in morning to find out more. Thanks v much.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If the turbo is 'blown' I'd expect the street to be filled with blue smoke. I suspect that it's not blown but just not functioning through some failure in the control system.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
monsieurKen

Post by monsieurKen »

Lighty wrote:Blown turbo is not common on a 1.4, the electronic wastegatrs do fail on the later engines.
Could do with some more info from you garage, like why they think it has failed.
Bang on! Ok called the garage to clarify the issue, mentioned a few experts had consulted with me, and it turned out it was the wastegate afterall! Obviously mum relieved and so am i, thanks to you and others here for helping out, it's very much appreciated!

=D>