Xantia 2.0hdi lhm level

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Xantia 2.0hdi lhm level

Post by bill hughes »

Hi all doing a routine check this morning I noticed that the orange disc in the sight level glass was up in the top of the glass, I checked it with the engine running and the lever on high position and the disc didn't move, its got me puzzled as its never happened before in 7 years, any ideas would be much appreciated,,, Cheers, ps no warning lights on
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 2.0hdi lhm level

Post by CitroJim »

They can stick up the top of the sight glass Bill.

Have you tried tapping it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bill hughes
My Cars: 1994 xantia 1.9 tdi sold on and still going strong 2ooo xantia 2.0hdi estate 1998 Renault megane 1.4

Post by bill hughes »

Hi Jim I've just tried that and it bounces up and down like its on a spring,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's odd Bill, unless the car has found a way of generating LHM!

Have a look into the reservoir using a small torch and see how high the level is when the suspension is on the lowest setting at which point the reservoir should be at its fullest. Use a crude dipstick to get an idea how far below the filler orifice lip the level is. It'll be pretty near.

Now set the suspension on full high and you should see the level fall considerably as at this point the LHM will be at it's lowest level in the reservoir...

One possible cause is that the suspension is not going to the fullest height. I've noticed that it is the last little bit of suspension movement that causes the most marked fall in level.

If you wish, I could, later, see on mine how far down the LHM falls on high to indicate a level between the two red lines...

When did you last top up? If it was fairly recently and the level was just a bit low then a sphere may have ruptured and filled with LHM. A subsequent top-up may have given an indication it is now overfilled.

It may also be worth doing a few rounds of 'Citarobics' and seeing if this makes a difference...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

Thanks for the info Jim I will check it all out, not sure what Citarobics is unless its getting the suspension to go up and down a few times cheers Bill
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

Jim forgot to say it would be very helpful if you could check your level, thanks Bill
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bill hughes wrote:Thanks for the info Jim I will check it all out, not sure what Citarobics is unless its getting the suspension to go up and down a few times cheers Bill
Exactly that Bill, up and down repeatedly about five or six times. It exercises the system and expels an entrained air...
bill hughes wrote:Jim forgot to say it would be very helpful if you could check your level, thanks Bill
It'll have to be tomorrow now I'm afraid. is that OK?
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing I used to do as an extra tweak to the Citrobics was to work the back brakes. Unless the Xantia has a lot of weight in the back the rear brakes are only lightly used. Before changing height, hold down the brake pedal, and then move the height lever to service high or service low. Once the nose has stopped moving release the pedal and hang on; the tail adjusts height very quickly. Once it has settled down for a minute or so, repeat (but going the other way). I would do this each height change during a Citrobics session. This puts a solid load onto the rear brakes, so that, when you need them, they should be working freely.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

No problem Jim its good of you to bother, and thanks to you Hell Razor I will your idea a go as well, every little might help
Bill
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Make sure to keep the handbrake on as well. The reason this works is because of the way the suspension works. A Xantia bottomed out has a longer wheelbase than when it is at full height (front suspension moves vertically, but rear suspension moves through an arc). By having the handbrake on, and holding the brake pedal down, you are preventing the rear wheels from turning, and therefore not allowing them to move to the appropriate position (and this then puts a good load onto the brakes).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

Hell Razor, that is very useful info. as I noticed that the rear wheels were trying to move forward as the suspension was moving to the high position so I released the handbrake, I now know that was incorrect, you live and learn.

Cheers Bill
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

A good indicator of how hard a Xantia uses its rear brakes is by the wear on the rear tyres. Normally rear tyres have to be replaced because they are starting to crack with age, despite having plenty of tread on them. Front tyres last (depending on driving style) around 25 thousand miles, rears can see 100 thousand miles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
bill hughes

Post by bill hughes »

It's funny you should mention front tyre wear as mine seem to be wearing away quite quickly, don't think I'll get 25 thou. but I do live very rural, lots of narrow twisty roads, maybe that's the problem, no motorways