Strange Whirring Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

Strange Whirring Noise

Post by CITMAN »

I was driving my 1995 citroen zx 1.4i up the dual carriageway this morning doing about 60 mph when a strange moaning whirring types noise all of sudden became evident it was like something rubbing on something. Popped the car out of gear it was still there. When I accelerated a little the pitch changed. And then it just disappeared when a approached a island under braking and I have driven a good 30 miles since hearing the noise and it hasnt come back. What king of noise would the rear arm bearing make when they have gone i.e. the tyre toucing the inner wing cos the rear wheels do lean in a little at the back.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Unless you have wider tyres than 185/65, I wouldn't expect them to touch the wings, mine were really shot, and the sign of this ( as well as the visual /--\ ) is a creaking sound from the rear wheels when going over bumps, and expecially when it sinks.
I recently experienced a front caliper retaining pin coming loose ( on many occasions ), and this leads to a strange knocking / rubbing noise coming from the front, which goes when you touch the brakes or handbrake. I would check that all the pins are secure ( front and rear ).