Adjusting a self adjusting clutch that won't self adjust.....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Adjusting a self adjusting clutch that won't self adjust.....

Post by bobins »

The story goes like this - I bought my X7 (as per sig line) 5 years ago with 37k miles on it. It was immediately fitted with a new clutch and DMF by the main dealers I'd bought it from as they were trying to sell it with a slipping clutch. Scroll forward another 37k miles with no clutch problems, then it would occasionally start slipping whilst accelerating under load from around 2k revs upwards in 5th and 6th gear - no surprises there, if it's going to slip, it will slip under those conditions.
I thought "Gosh darn it, I'd really prefer no to have to replace the clutch again.... and again in another 37k miles" - or words to that effect :-D So I did a bit of research to find out that these are the hateful self adjusting clutches, and when they're replaced there's seldom any/much wear on the friction plate and it's the pressure plate not doing its job. I seem to recall someone on here saying they've given these clutches 'a bit of abuse' (might not have been the exact words, but it amounts to the same :-D ) in order to get them to adjust so......
..... A couple of weeks ago I performed a few exercises on the clutch, basically driving up to about 3000rpm in 4th or 5th on a level or slight downhill road, foot down on the clutch pedal and off of the throttle and let it coast, let the revs drop to tickover, then straight off the clutch pedal. Repeat 8-10 times. Since then there's been no signs of clutch slippage, although I don't actually get to drive it that much and it might only be something that happens when the clutch is warmed up.

So.... my questions to the panel are: Am I deluding myself (more than usual) in thinking that I've got the clutch to adjust ? :-D Is this a well known fix and I've been asleep when it gets frequently mentioned on here ? :) Should I start saving for a new clutch and DMF ? :? [-o< Are there any other ways to get these clutches to (self) adjust ? :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Adjusting a self adjusting clutch that won't self adjust.....

Post by Lighty »

The clutch does have a self adjusting fulcrum point where the bearing pushes against, is it is possible that you have forced it to move a little . It's not a known fix, but I will try it in future :)
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Adjusting a self adjusting clutch that won't self adjust.....

Post by bobins »

Thanks for the info, Mark.
The jury is still out on whether it's actually worked, but before I did the above procedure I could provoke clutch slip in the right conditions at will, and I've not been able to provoke any slip since I did the procedure. I'll give it about 500 miles of problem free driving before I celebrate :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(