C5 2003 HDi Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kayjas
My Cars: Citroen C5 estate

C5 2003 HDi Estate

Post by kayjas »

How easy is it to fit front suspension spheres on a C5 ?
I paid to have the rear ones fitted but it looks quite straightforward to fit the front ones.
Any tips will be appreciated.
WidowmakerUK
My Cars: Citroen c5 hpi exclusive estate
Petrol 2Liter manual

2003 low mileage

Colour red

Re: C5 2003 HDi Estate

Post by WidowmakerUK »

I replaced my ones last year just ensure you depressurise the system before you remove them. The centre one is the hardest to do as its under the car and I did it over a pit. The way I did my one was to lower it to the floor then put a jack under it and lift it up this did depressurise them. I then took my large grippers and un did the spears one at a time. Many here will tell me this was the wrong way to do it but it worked fine for me. When refitting ensure you do not trap the seal other wise it will leak. Also never put any type of oil or grease on the threads no matter how dry they are this will damage the car. After I fitted the new ones I removed the jack/axel stands then waited for the car to lift, once it had lifted I let it down again did it a few times to run any air out of the system.

The one that hold the most pressure is the centre one it was a pain to change as there's not much room to get it out, if I remember rightly I had to remove the mounting bolts on the valve so I could get the spear out as it sits in a cutout in the subframe.

I hope this helps you some what, remember to buy some fluid as you will need to top the tank up when your done
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The fluid you need for the C5 is LDS, and you can get it from GSF at a better price than dealerships. While the advise not to put any oil or grease onto the threads is good, the exception would be a smear of LDS fluid onto the seals and threads, to help things go together more easily.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Very easy done all of mine in 20 mins but was on a ramp and used some large grips and a oil filter strap removal tool.

The front were the easiest to do and undone so easy, not sure if you have 4 or 6 spheres (sport button = 6).

Let us know how you get on.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.