Engine lost power, now engine light on

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

Engine lost power, now engine light on

Post by smoker »

Hi,
Driving my 52 reg Xsara 110hdi today, trying to accelerate to overtake a vehicle and the engine lost power (but kept running), then the engine light came on. A few seconds later it picked up, and has restarted and driven fine since then.

I think I have two choices: (i) try and clear the warning light and hope it was just one of those things, or (ii) investigate, I guess starting with a code reader (which I don't have and have never used one...).

So, can anyone suggest an easy way to clear the fault and extinguish the engine warning light? Similarly, is there a preferred (and preferably cheap) code reader that might give me a starting point as to what might have gone on? As suggested above, I wouldn't even know where to plug one in to the car, although following that I'm reasonably handy when it comes to swapping parts over as necessary.

Any help greatly appreciated!
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Engine lost power, now engine light on

Post by RichardW »

Most likely the fuel filter needs changing - I would start there as it's cheap and easy. Once the fault is cleared the light should go out after a few starts. For diagnostics you really need Diagbox, but there is a list of members who've got the kit and might help here http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178
Richard W
smoker

Re: Engine lost power, now engine light on

Post by smoker »

Thanks. Filter now changed and car running fine (but then the incident was a one off so no way of knowing for sure if the filter was the cause.) Found a few small shiny bits, I assume fragments of metal, in the bottom of the filter housing which was a little worrying. Have to see how things go now.

Thx again
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi