'07 Xsara Picasso Heater gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roenlas
New User
My Cars: '07 Citroen Xsara Picasso
'08 Ford Focus SE (gone)
'04 Saturn ION (@#$%)
'01 Ford Mustang (gone)
'78 Dodge Challenger (gone)

'07 Xsara Picasso Heater gremlins

Post by roenlas »

Hello All,
New member, first time poster here. I have a '07 Xsara Picasso that is apparently the nesting ground of some gremlin(s). On the way back from the school run, the block that the drive belt tensioner is mounted to broke...which took out the drive belt tensioner...which took out the drive belt. After finding a replacement mounting block (for a non-astronomically ridiculous price), and having all those bits replaced, I had to have the timing belt replaced. Why? Remember how I said that mounting block broke...well, while the garage didn't find the missing piece, the timing belt did. £400 later, I get the car back from the garage with a new problem... When you turn the car on, the heater fan turns on full blast and cannot be adjusted; temp/vent control seem to work well, and after doing some research, it seems that the culprit is the heater blower motor resistor.

My heater blower motor is pressed together, and apparently has the resistor built in (the spiky looking metallic bit, right?). I purchased what I thought was a like-replacement, but with the replacement installed, the fan wont even turn on ](*,) . (And just for (in)sanity's sake, I replaced the hvac control panel (the digital version with 'auto' control) with a spare i had, and the problem remained with the original blower motor.) At this point, i have a couple of questions, and I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on this situation.

1) How can I disassemble the heater blower motor, without damaging it, to get at the resistor?
2) Baring the control panel and/or the blower motor, could there be something else causing the fault?
3) Is it possible to replace the digital hvac control panel with the analog one? (I'm annoyed at the digital one, and how dark it makes the cabin when lights burn out).

Thanks very much to all!
Cheers!
Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. - George Carlin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: '07 Xsara Picasso Heater gremlins

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) Here's a video of one chap changing his - watch it through as there were some issues with the spares he bought! A bit long, but at least he's thorough!

2) It is likely to be the resistor issue
3) A manual one is completely different than the digital one and most likely can't be just swapped out. The wiring is different and the car would have to be reconfigured and may not work as intended.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc