Xantia Speakers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Xantia Speakers

Post by KevMayer »

I just fitted a Sony Radio with single CD player (Sony CDX-L580X) to my Xantia to replace the original Blaupunkt unit. I also got an adaptor for the steering wheel controls and it works very well.
The Sony unit was the cheapest Halfords sold which allowed remote control from the steering wheel (130 quid). I'm very impressed with its performance, but at 4x50 watts output it makes the original Xantia speakers vibrate and kind of struggle if I turn the volume up.
Does anyone know what the rating of the original speakers is, and is it easy to change them for something with a bigger capacity.
Thanks.
p.s. I also got a facia plate at 20 quid. The steering wheel control adaptor was 30 quid. It cost me 180 quid altogether. Halfords were very helpful...which is unusual !
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Sony, Alpine, I think Kenwood and probably others make speaker drivers that are designed as a direct replacement for factory fit drivers. They're confusingly referred to as "Custom Fit"
Don't forget that the xantia has a tweeter under the dash with a passive crossover. You'll probably find that it's just the woofers in the doors that are struggling, especially if you're throwing out a lot of bass. Try replacing these and you should notice an improvement.
There are lots of coaxial drivers around (woofers with a tweeter in the middle). These make a good replacement for the rear door speakers, but won't be good in the front because you've already got tweeters under the dash.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I got a set of pioneer speakers that had tweeters with them. I replaced both teh woofer and tweeter and it made a difference. Only problem that i've got now is the actual door shakes and vibrates :)
Ste