Struggling to adjust timing belt tensioner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mr Micawber
My Cars: Citroën C3 auto

Struggling to adjust timing belt tensioner

Post by Mr Micawber »

I have renewed the timing belt on my 1.4 litre 8 valve KFV engine but when I ran the engine there was an alarming intermittent rattle when revved above idle. So I've exposed the tensioner and I'm wondering whether I've fitted it correctly.

In the background is the water pump sprocket and in the foreground part of the camshaft sprocket. Have I mounted the tensioner plate correctly please?

Simon
Citroën C3, 1.4 SX Auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Struggling to adjust timing belt tensioner

Post by wheeler »

have you tried resetting the timing to see if the the pins line back up ? You did use pins right ? did you turn the engine over several times by hand & then recheck the timing before starting ?
Mr Micawber
My Cars: Citroën C3 auto

Re: Struggling to adjust timing belt tensioner

Post by Mr Micawber »

Hi wheeler, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm using the special timing tools. Yes, I have turned the engine by hand prior to starting and yes, the engine maintains correct timing. The engine starts immediately and runs, so I don't suspect a timing error.

When turning the engine by hand the belt tension slackens a couple of times, then tightens again. This leads me to believe that the tensioner is not working properly, and that might be because I haven't mounted it correctly. From my photograph you can see the position of the tensioner's baseplate with its pointer. Is that correct please? Neither Citroen nor Haynes gives satisfcatory instructions. The baseplate has a two pronged fork which I have slotted over a web in the engine casting. Is that correct please?

Thanks for your assistance.

Simon
Citroën C3, 1.4 SX Auto