Xsara gearbox shriek

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Xsara gearbox shriek

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well it's a 2004 Hdi 110 and, yes it really does make a shrieking sound from the gearbox area!
Clutch changed a month or two back after the old thrust bearing completely disintegrated. Some slight grooving to the o/p shaft, nothing too serious IMHO.
All's been fine 'till I got a 'phone call from 'er indoors the other day.
Anyway I took it out for a long spin yesterday and all seemed fine. Until I was very nearly home. Gear selection maybe a touch stiffer but what a racket it started making. I'm sure it coincided with going into second, and that gear seemed the noisiest. Let it idle for ten mins or so and it would make the occasional screech. That made me and Her jump, specially as I had my bonce under the bonnet the first time.
Confession. I didn't change the drive shaft seals. :oops: There was a small oil patch under the car and I never quite got around to getting back under the car. Gearbox damaged?
Ladies and Gentlemen I would gratefully recieve your opinions on the matter.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xsara gearbox shriek

Post by lexi »

Drain the gearbox oil. It will let you know how much oil you have been running with and see if there are any bits or swarf in it.
Take it from there. You can try 2 litres of new oil but damage may be done and it is a strip. You need to take the steps anyway before diving in.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Yes, good point, ta - I'll need to drain the oil before I can do anything with it so that would make an interesting start, see how much and if there's any swarf.
I have just been out in it to have a listen. Definitely centred around 2nd gear.
Right, just have a bite to eat, and I'll get that oil out!
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well, I drained the oil and found a massive...... 200mls. So about a tenth of what I put in there. Oil must have gotten passed the seals. Didn't see much if any debris though.