Peugeot 306 - poor ignition

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JR

Peugeot 306 - poor ignition

Post by JR »

Hi,
I have noticed that my Peugeot 306 is not starting as well as it use to. It is a 1995 1.8xt auto petrol, with automatic choke. In all weather conditions, it has started with no problems, but recently I have to keep the ignition key turned for at least 5 seconds before the engine catches and starts.
The spark plugs have been changed and tested according to the Haynes manual, I have also checked contacts for any trapped moisture. The engine will start fine if warm, but from cold is terrible.
Are there any parts I should check before contacting my local garage?
Any help greatly appreciated,
Cheers, JR
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Surely a 1995 car will be injected?
Does it idle and run OK once it starts? Its probably worth checking your fuel and air filters as a starting point. Maybe the ignition HT leads as well.
JR

Post by JR »

Yep, it is injected. It idles fine once started, apart from reverse, which is very juddery whe and alomost feels like the car is going to stall.
HT leads were replaced about 4 months ago, when the car was serviced. I will check the filters, but as they were replaced recently do not think these are the cause of the poor starting.
Someone mentioned the fuel pump could be to blaim, but surely the car would not idle correctly if this needed replacing?
any other ideas?
cheers, JR