New Citroens

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

New Citroens

Post by CITMAN »

Im little concerned, about the reliability of newer citroen models, as I have heard some bad press about the C5s, and John's citroen. I really fancy a secondhand new model xsara vts as they seem to be cheap to buy secondhand as they depreciate like all citroens do i.e. bricks, and they are quick and handle great as well. But frankly the niggling doubts about citroens new found reliability is putting me off.
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Well, I've had 3 new Citroen's since 2001: a 2001 Xsara 1.4LX, a 2002 Xsara 1.6LX and a 2003 C5 2.2HDi SX.
I had no major problems with any of them, and in fact the C5 was absolutely flawless in the 7 months I had it before it got written off :( The 2 Xsaras had a couple of niggles, the first one with the airbag light and the plip losing its code, and the second with the mirrors and warmish aircon, but they were all sorted out with a visit to the dealer inside an hour or two.
I was going to get a Xsara VTS, in fact I had an ex demo one for 3 days as the dealership were that keen to get me into it. Very quick car, but like most 16v's you have to rev it hard to see the 167hp. I asked the service manager if they were troublesome, to which he replied "they can be a right pain in the arse, and I've seen a couple come in with snapped cambelts" which put me right off and it ended up going back. It wasn't entirely suitable for me anyway really due to the lack of rear doors and hard suspension.
However, now I don't use my car for work.........got me thinking :)
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

If it's any comfort Jonathan, I bought a Berlingo HDI in April 2002 and so far it's behaved itself. Well, apart from a indicator side repeater and a resistor on the heater motor, both done under warranty, that's it. Not the end of the world, maybe I've been lucky. If you're buyng second hand any faults should have been sorted by the poor first owner........
Edited cos I forgot to mention the N/S heated mirror stopped heating and was done under warranty, and recently the O/S has stopped too. DOH!