Cit roen bx 1.7 DTR

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikeg
My Cars:

Cit roen bx 1.7 DTR

Post by mikeg »

Is there a common fault with the throttle pedal on the bx? My problem is that the pedal goes down to the floor but doesn't open the lever fully at the pump. I have adusted the outer cable at the pump & removed most of the carpet under the pedal area. This has improved it a lot but the pedal seems to be biased to the right and then buts against the inner wheel arch. Any clues please?
Just in case any one noticed, my first attempt at this topic was thwarted by my cat who jumped on to the key board. Must have been after the mouse!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - a very common fault - the pedal breaks off - or rather its mount disintegrates.
many people remove the entire pedal assembly and weld it up and re-fit. When I bought my DTR Turbo it was unbelievably slow (about 35 mph max) (I didn't pay much!) and on collecting it I thought the pedal felt loose and pushed it to the left whereupon full power was suddenly released!
I repaired the pedal by making up a re-inforcing piece which carried the throttle pedal spindle and bolted to 2 existing and convenient bolts. This was about 4 1/2 years ago and I have had no further problems. The re-inforcing piece was made from a short length of 1 inch (25 mm) angle steel.
jeremy
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Thanks Jeremy,
I'll see what I can find in my Ma in-laws garage to make a semi tempory repair, hoping last as long as yours.
Regards Mike.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The BX pedal box is badly designed - hence it fails. You can weld it up, but the problem will still exist namely that the throttle is only secured at one side and there is always going to be a big bending moment on the bracket trying to break it. I bent the bracket back, removed the pedal and drilled and tapped the spindle then made up a right angle bracket screwed to the floor to support the outside end of the spindle. Much sturdier design!
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Thanks for advice, all. I eventually contacted P&R Motors of Tetbury, just up the road from me.They fitted a modified bracket to the pedal box, for £20 & Bobs your uncle. Its a totally different drive now. P&R specialize in Citroen, Pugs & Renault at very reasonable rates. Just for the record, their 'phone number is 01666505010. please mention Mike, if you contact them because I said that I would give them a plug.(If that's in order)