306 1.4 XR thinking of buying.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

306 1.4 XR thinking of buying.

Post by reanimation »

Hiya, I have a 94 Xantia with A little fix here and there it's been a brilliant car really. My Partner uses it now for her 3 day commute to town and back as I take train. It's been playing up a bit recently and looks ropey. I don't mind this and intend to keep it as 'mine' maybe even fix and tidy at leisure.

We've seen a 306 XR 1.4, also a 94! for sale cheap from what seems a honest long term owner with nothing to gain. It actually ticks some boxes. A nice simple petrol with 'normal' suspension and hopefully tidier. There's a few niggles obviously talk of the ignition barrel being funny sometimes, Xantia has been funny a few times too. Central locking needs to go via passenger side, and also the electric window on passenger side a bit rubbish too. Hmm there is also possibly an issue with the seatbelt mount in rear though nothing visible inside or out... It's thought water is getting in via wheel arch and potentially causing problems. I don't know if this is an issue or just a MOT testers thought/concern

I just remembered I was a member here so wondered if the crew were as friendly in Peugeot forum. :-D

And yes I'd love a GTI6 next time maybe...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 306 1.4 XR thinking of buying.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't think even petrol engines are simple now but likely to be less expensive to repair than a diesel.

Peter
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't mean to frighten you, but take a look at: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29373
Sorry some of the photos are missing, but we may be able to find them. It was complete coincidence that I found that thread this morning while investigating an error in the server logs that was due to the missing pictures.
reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

Post by reanimation »

Thank you. Hmm that's very scary. Maybe it's not a great idea then. I suspect then the MOT tester saw it not looking ideal from his angle under the arch but passable. And unable to remove trim he passed it with advisory. Sounds like a design fault. Hmm was a bit old anyway didn't propel us on too far. They've had some interest in it and at £150 with 9 months it should go as a runabout for someone.