Xantia TD Start Drop

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia TD Start Drop

Post by ecohouse1 »

I presume this is normal. When I switch the engine off after a drive the Xantia rises up as we all get out the car and then stays at this height, say overnight, then when I get in the following morning it doesnt drop until I restart the engine, when it then drops right down - especially at the back. Occasionally if the car has been sat a few days these is a crunch at the back which I assume is the arm bearings getting a bit crunchy! I assume that this is the anti-sink working as it should?

Cheers

Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia TD Start Drop

Post by CitroJim »

No, that's not quite right Alan, when all the passengers alight and the rear rises, there should be enough stored pressure in the system after the engine is stopped for the rear to return to the correct level. In fact this is a classic test of the accumulator and the general health of the system. A good one will correct the height change a couple of times before exhaustion..

That the rear drops right down on start-up as well would suggest to me that the rear corners and the rear anti-sink sphere (which is actually an accumulator) may not be in the best of health and that also very much applies to the main accumulator. Check them all.. I'd suspect your main accumulator is completely flat. What's your tick rate like?

The fact the rear stays up does actually indicate the anti-sink vale itself is working!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks Jim. The tick rate is OK - I have done 55k miles in 4 years on those spheres. They were a full 6 set from Plaiedies. I have been toying with the idea of replacing. Do you think the time might have come? The car is often run well loaded and I pull a trailer and caravan which must put a bit of load on the rear.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd certainly be inclined to check them Alan, are you near anyone who might perhaps have a sphere tester...

The rear corners particularly as they act as reserves of pressure for the rear suspension...

A further cause of the problem may be a bit of internal leakage and the usual prime suspect for that is the brake doseur valve.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...