Its British....ooooooh I want :)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Its British....ooooooh I want :)

Post by Stickyfinger »

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Its British....ooooooh I want :)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Reminds me of "Stan" our old "Y-reg" Metro City 1.0L, commuted me for around 100,000 miles before rust got the better of it.

regards Neil

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner »

I have a soft spot for the metro, but I have to say that a base spec pre-facelift one does absolutely nothing for me.

Facelift MG in metallic blue is where it's at!

BenC5HDi
Not Mike

Post by BenC5HDi »

wurlycorner wrote:I have a soft spot for the metro, but I have to say that a base spec pre-facelift one does absolutely nothing for me.

Facelift MG in metallic blue is where it's at!
Ooh yes. I had a G-reg facelift MG Metro in silver with red trim, with a 4 branch exhaust, rejected carb and horny cam in it all from Minisport. It was a wonderful thing! 110mph at 6700rpm all the way down a rest track modelled on the M40 with my gran in the back :) Good job she was already deaf.

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

I like that, the colour suits it. Are you bidding?
I had an early 1.0L in maroon & a facelift MG in metallic blue. In retrospect (metrospect?) I prefer the early front end.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am keeping an eye on it :)

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

wurlycorner wrote: Facelift MG in metallic blue is where it's at!
Sort of like this? Was sold on ebay for £3,000 January 2015.

Regards Neil

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

Way way to obvious for me :)

Nice however

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Yes please...Have to confess that the Metro is a car that I have a massive soft spot for. Especially in my case the pre-facelift cars, I love the honesty of them.

Really miss my (violently yellow) W plate MiniMetro HLE. One of the cars I seriously regret selling the most. One thing which really sticks with me is the gearbox whine in 1st through 3rd, especially when driving it in a spirited fashion...which on twisty country roads with good visibility with a car that handles as well as a well sorted Metro, I tended to a lot. Remember really surprising a driver of a relatively recent Golf GTi one day when he was struggling to keep up with me in the twisties.

Will probably never have another one sadly, but I'd dearly love to own one again. Don't ever remember it being that bad a car to work on either, save for lacerating my knuckles on the radiator fins when I changed the distributor cap the first time anyway, and getting a fantastic belt off one of the HT leads the day I discovered they needed to be changed.

Mate of mine had a first gen Turbo version as well - that thing was utterly hilarious. It went like a rocket ship, but the turbo lag was downright comical. You planted the right foot, waited about a second then held on for dear life. Sadly that one met its end when it got rear ended by a foreign tour coach when stationary at a set of traffic lights in Aberdeen. We were both gutted when that happened as I'd seriously been considering buying it off him.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, I borrowed a mint, black Mayfair from someone for a couple of days. I had it on a good run back on country roads from Norfolk to Suffolk... And it was an absolute hoot to drive.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

I've owned both the Mk I and II cars, and always found that the Mk I car was more fun. It just felt lighter and more nimble, always felt with the facelift car that they had softened things up a bit.

Granted, having things like lighting on the heater controls was maybe a bonus...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have a massive soft spot for the Metro too... Had enough of them...

Two MG Metros, an MG Metro Turbo and a Vanden Plas Metro...

And finally a late K-series Metro in the Rover 100 style...

The Turbo I wish I never parted with, along with my 205 GTi.

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

me to ;) I borrowed a red MG for a few months, really enjoyed it! no idea whether it was a mark 1 or 2 but think it was a 1300.. maybe they all were?

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I tried to learn to drive in a Metro. It wasn't great. You try learning to drive with your knees on either side of the steering wheel, and the driving seat IS full back!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I learned to drive in a Marina... Put me off the hideous bloody things for life...