Advice needed on a used Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6A THP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

begins
My Cars:

Advice needed on a used Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6A THP

Post by begins »

Dear all,

I am considering a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6A THP (Year 2009~2010) to replace my current C5 (Year 2007) and have the following questions for the experienced owners.

1. It looks to me that the Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6A THP have a few variants. Do they running on 4 speed or 5 speed Automatic? For 4 speed, are they using the same 4 speed gearbox like my year 2007 C5? What is the power performance specifications of the variants?

2. I assume these models are using normal suspension? Is this on a firmer side or comfort side?

3. What are the common electrical and mechanical faults in these models?

4. What are things to look out for when test driving this C4?

Kindly advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Advice needed on a used Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6A THP

Post by GiveMeABreak »

On Point (2): These models were available with pneumatic rear suspension as an option (air sprung bags, not hydropneumatic) and there are widely known issues with these units failing due to the exhaust heat drying out and cracking the rubber on the bags causing air leaks. Being that you are in Malaysia (I used to live in Singapore many moons ago and remember going to kota Tinggi waterfalls in Malaysia!) I would think that the excessive heat would only contribute to the problem, so would avoid any models with this setup. Some members have had a conversion done and replaced their Air Bags with conventional springs, but that's another expense.
I'm sure other members will be able to advise you on the other points.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not sure on exact details, but looking at Parkers (valuation site for used cars in UK)....

1.6 THP only available as a 'proper' auto in Exclusive trim. Other trim levels are all EGS (Automated manual box). EGS will be 5 or 6 speed, the auto looks like 4 speed. Quite likely it is the AL4 as found in the C5. Make sure you take an extended drive if EGS, as some (most?) people don't really like them. Personally I would avoid the 1.6 turbo engine - it suffers all sorts of expensive maladies - have a look at this thread for instance: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =4&t=53247 I think it will be about 150PS in the C4 Picasso. Air suspension was on Exclusives, so that rather rules that out!

Engine / box issues aside, we've had ours (Grand Picasso) for 4 years, and think it's great. It's comfortable, and OK to drive (never going to be a track car is it, but that's not the point!). Nothing much has gone wrong in the interior except a fan that was a bit troublesome because it filled up with water due to blocked scuttle drains, and a front seat I had to dismantle and take out to remove the pen that was stuck under the runner. Despite 2 small boys going at it, no bits of trim have fallen off, and it's still pretty rattle free at 90k. I would certainly have another. Pollen filter is a pig to change in RHD cars, not so bad in LHD!
Richard W
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

GiveMeABreak wrote:On Point (2): These models were available with pneumatic rear suspension as an option (air sprung bags, not hydropneumatic) and there are widely known issues with these units failing due to the exhaust heat drying out and cracking the rubber on the bags causing air leaks. Being that you are in Malaysia (I used to live in Singapore many moons ago and remember going to kota Tinggi waterfalls in Malaysia!) I would think that the excessive heat would only contribute to the problem, so would avoid any models with this setup. Some members have had a conversion done and replaced their Air Bags with conventional springs, bit that's another expense.
I'm sure other members will be able to advise you on the other points.
Hi, Thank you very much for that important pointer of rear suspension. Not quite sure whether there exist models that come without the pneumatic setup, will have to scout around. I am just wondering what's the purpose of having pneumatic option only for the rear?
I will have to read more about the conversion too.
How was it living in Singapore? I read that car prices are the world highest in the world.

Regards,
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

RichardW wrote:Not sure on exact details, but looking at Parkers (valuation site for used cars in UK)....

1.6 THP only available as a 'proper' auto in Exclusive trim. Other trim levels are all EGS (Automated manual box). EGS will be 5 or 6 speed, the auto looks like 4 speed. Quite likely it is the AL4 as found in the C5. Make sure you take an extended drive if EGS, as some (most?) people don't really like them. Personally I would avoid the 1.6 turbo engine - it suffers all sorts of expensive maladies - have a look at this thread for instance: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =4&t=53247 I think it will be about 150PS in the C4 Picasso. Air suspension was on Exclusives, so that rather rules that out!

Engine / box issues aside, we've had ours (Grand Picasso) for 4 years, and think it's great. It's comfortable, and OK to drive (never going to be a track car is it, but that's not the point!). Nothing much has gone wrong in the interior except a fan that was a bit troublesome because it filled up with water due to blocked scuttle drains, and a front seat I had to dismantle and take out to remove the pen that was stuck under the runner. Despite 2 small boys going at it, no bits of trim have fallen off, and it's still pretty rattle free at 90k. I would certainly have another. Pollen filter is a pig to change in RHD cars, not so bad in LHD!
Pardon my ignorance, is there a difference between a Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 THP and a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 THP?
I dislike the AL4 gearbox found in my current C5 so I hope not to go back with a Citroen that is equipped with an AL4.
Ideally, and hopefully, the used C4 Picasso (MPV, 7 Seaters) should come with a 5 speed or even 6 speed if there is.
Given my tiny budget, I suppose year 2009/2010 models would be something I am looking at.

Thank you very much for the pointers.

Regards,