2002 Citroën c5 hatchback,boot randomly opens

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

collister68
My Cars: 2002 Citroën c5 hatchback
Peugeot 407 estate

2002 Citroën c5 hatchback,boot randomly opens

Post by collister68 »

I've just changed my clutch which wasn't as difficult as expected but when I've put the car back together I now have an issue with my boot,it won't open manually or from inside the car but opens when I open any of my doors or front windows or when I unlock the car with my key fob????would be very grateful of any help to solve the problem,thanks
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: 2002 Citroën c5 hatchback,boot randomly opens

Post by wurlycorner »

Did you disconnect the battery (or interrupt the earth) during the clutch change?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

Yes I disconnected the battery & also the main earth connection in the engine bay
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Welcome to the Forum. When you say the boot won't open manually, do you mean when you have already unlocked the car and go to press the electronic switch in on the boot to open it that it won't open? Are you also saying that if the car is locked and you then unlock it with the fob that the boot physically opens? Did you at anytime disconnect the battery (however brief) before, during or after replacing your clutch? If you did, have you completed the BSI reset procedure?:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 11&t=40407
In either case, try this first as it is the first step in solving many electrical issues - especially with the Mark 1 C5s and don't skip any steps as the BSI needs to go to 'sleep' properly hence the specific instructions.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

That's correct I open the car with the fob & the boot lid opens,when I close it the only way to open it again is to lock/unlock the car with the fob as it won't open from inside the car,thanks for the link I'll try the procedure & let you know how I get on
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

I followed the instructions in the link to the letter but as soon as I opened the door to get in the boot lid opened so I tried a second time & got to the point where I open the door & again the boot lid opened,at the point in the instructions where the ignition is turned on I could hear the car going through its reboot cycle so must have followed the instructions correctly but it hasn't solved the boot problem?any other ideas?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not much help....this has been reported quite a few times when I did a search, but no one has come back with an answer! I thought there was a thread recently where some really esoteric fault caused it, but I can't find it.

Did you allow the BSI to go to sleep when you took the battery off originally? Is the battery good - if it's been stood a while when you did the clutch, taking it for a drive to re-charge the battery might help things.
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I had (for a while, at least) a slightly similar situation on my C5 estate, whereby the tailgate glass would pop open by itself when I opened another door (for a while the switch would open the glass, but this failed after a while). Eventually I had to replace the relevant assembly, and (because it had a new switch) the random opening stopped. I believe that water had got into the switch (one of the copper wires had blackened tarnish, indicating water damage; the insulation was intact), which could mean that the resistance was wrong, confusing the related ECU when a door was opened.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

I'll look into this as I've found a c5 in a local scrap yard, thanks
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

I followed the instructions on the link to the letter but it didn't work then i drove less than half a mile & parked upafter 40 mins I got back in & the boot started working like it should but on the way home my offside indicator bulb lost connection so I pulled over & fixed it but when I got back in the car I had the same boot problem all over again but to the extent of me putting the car in reverse & the boot opened aaaaaarrrgghhh would an indicator shorting cause this problem or have I just got a temperamental c5?
begins
My Cars:

Post by begins »

Hi there,

I had the experience of my year 2007 C5 boot once in a while (especially during heavy downpour) released the boot by itself.
Checked that the boot hinge is not wet and sprayed some silicone gel to it. It works for me.

Regards,
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

I've checked all the hinges where the cables pass into the doors/boot & they are all dry,I've checked all fuses & connections, I'm thinking it's definitely something to do with interrupting the earth that's caused the problem
collister68
Peugeot 407 estate

Post by collister68 »

After a lot of head scratching & asking random people if they had any idea's I came across a mechanic at work who worked for Peugeot,after a couple of discussions about my boot problem he told me to check my earth that I had removed,after taking off,cleaning & replacing the earth connection after about a week my boot issue seems to have subsided!thanks anyway for all your help....I've got a new problem now which was a mistake on my behalf by putting 20 litres of diesel in my Citroen c5 1.8LX
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've recently had to replace the boot switch on mine. Despite its using a sealed microswitch, the damage appeared to have been due to water ingress. On disassembly, it looks very much as though damp was a significant design issue - various gaskets and shields are fitted - but the mounting aperture in the boot lid nevertheless shows the only signs of rust on the whole car. Perhaps the slipstream tends to increase pressure in the handle area.
Mine failed open-circuit, but there's every chance that others might intermittently short, resulting in the OP's symptoms.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Ignore, already mentioned.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!