PING!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

PING!

Post by RichardW »

Ah, so that's what it sounds like when the clutch cable clip breaks[:(] At least it was only 300 yds from home, and I managed to get it back, and a lift to work.
Nice [:(!] weekend for me then. Not.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

So now we know for sure what's coming up owning a xantia :
1) the clutch cable clip
2) the clutch cable
3) the heater matrix
4) the blower fan problem
5) pulsating brake pedal
6) car alarm
If you look over the last couple of week's submissions - you instantly recognise these topics as hi runners.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Oh yippee!!!
Man, I just cannot wait!
I'm three and a half months into Xantia ownership - is it time to get the AX taxed and MoT'd as a backup?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Dave, do yourself a few favours.
(One) Buy a nice ZX 1.9D. [^]

(Two) Mothball the AX coz you wont need it anymore. [:I]
(Three) Stick the Xantia in the garden, fill it with flowers and turn it into a water feature. Water running out from under the engine and matrix would be good.. hehe... [:o)]
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davek-uk</i>

Oh yippee!!!
Man, I just cannot wait!
I'm three and a half months into Xantia ownership - is it time to get the AX taxed and MoT'd as a backup?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well im biased but Bin the Xantia and get out the AX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"So now we know for sure what's coming up owning a xantia :
1) the clutch cable clip
2) the clutch cable
3) the heater matrix
4) the blower fan problem
5) pulsating brake pedal
6) car alarm"
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Sorry - pressed wrong button - what I was going to say was that in 8 years of owning 2 Xantias one of which was sold at 90k and the other has doen 72k we have only ever had the pulsating brake pedal problem on the first Xantia but no hint on the second (HDi Exclusive, hydraulic clutch!)
Now if isn't tempting fate, I don't know what is!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Phil - [8D]
Don't take it as I am SURE it will happen - but from a statistical point of view these problems seems likely to arise.
- and it will of course apply the higher mileage the Xantia has.
It's not that kind of problems that scares me off buying a s/h Xantia.
Over the y's I've owned cars that was a daily nuisance to drive - some was simply un-reliable to a dangerous point.
I still remember my Opel kadet (Vauxhall Chevette) with it's under powered brakes.
It was fitted with drums all round - and was sheer terrorism to keep up in a working efficient state.
I ended up modifying to disc brakes at front - which finally made it do something on the pedal. Then I traded it in [:D]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I looked (well no felt, as I couldn't see it without removing the trim and it was raining) last night, and bolt is in the 'wrong' way so it will be the long slog.
For a laugh I looked in the fairy tale book, and that says words to the effect of "undo the nut, withdraw the bolt, and remove the pedal"!! Ha ha ha ha.....
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Richard,
As a matter of interest do you know the mileage on your clutch? Is it a bit heavy and going to be due in the near/medium future do you think?
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

David,
Car has 96k, no reason to believe clutch not original. It is slightly heavy, but not excessive yet - certainly not as heavy as the 136k one in my BX TD was! I am aware that the clip breaking is the first indication that clutch is getting due. I might tackle it in the summer when it is warm and dry!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Richard,
I only ask because I have never (so far!) personally known a clip to break on a clutch that has the normal feel. I accept other folks grumble that this has indeed happened at lower mileages. All of us that run older Xantias are so used to clutches in varying degrees of decline the line between "a little bit heavy" and "terminal" is a fine one.
As a matter of interest my "fleet" have all reached clutch time during a broadly similar period. In the past month and looking forward to the next few I should have done 4 Xantias and a ZX...all TDs.
The mileages of these vehicles, on their original clutches, varies from 80K at the lowest to 160K at the most....110-120K seems to be about it on average though.
We had driven our own ZX TD with a very poor clutch for a whole year before I found time to change it just after Christmas. You get so used to the heavy and sluggish feel, with odd take-up points, on a failing one...well the new one feels quite odd in comparison.
But very good though!
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

David,
Clutch is still nice and smooth, and takes up nice and evenly as you would expect. I noticed it was a bit heavier than the new VW Polo hire car I drove last weekend, but not all that much. Just one of those things I guess - see how long the new clip lasts - at least I will be able to get the bolt out easily next time!
How much do you charge for a clutch change (with assistance!)?
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

>>How much do you charge for a clutch change (with assistance!)?
If I can put it this way....
I don't particularly like doing Xantia clutches (or any other involved clutch for that matter). The workshop is tied up for too many hours and I far prefer the flexibility of several smaller jobs/services that take the same total time. For that reason I only do clutches as a service for folks who are already bringing their vehicles here for all regular servicing/repairs.
When I do a Xantia clutch obviously the transmission oil/seals are replaced. Often it is the appropriate time to change any iffy driveshaft gaiters while the shafts are off. Also this clutch change mileage often coincides with the dreaded radiator failure, perhaps previously repaired with Radweld. So there is a strong likelyhood of a new rad/coolant at the same time. Don't forget the LHM as well, as the tank has to be moved it makes sense to so a fluid change/bleed at the same time.
So it never seems to be as simple as "how much for a clutch"...but broadly speaking I do an as/more thorough job than the dealers at a price about halfway between the "fast-fit" type guys and the main dealers.
As a matter of interest I have roughed out a clutch change procedure for the Xantia which I think follows a more logical order than Haynes, and reduces the chance of getting it all together to find something crucial was missed earlier on!!
When it is in the form of a Word document I'll upload it to my small, sadly neglected, website and then post a link here.
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks David. Radiator already changed!
Clip now installed. Actually the job is not that bad apart from cutting the bolt off. Even with the carpet pulled back and a piece cut out of the foam insulation I was still half the bolt head away from getting it past the brake pedal, so out with the saw.
Job was not helped by my local Cit dealer who has decided to open the parts shop only every other Saturday [V] - which didn't conincide with yesterday of course! Managed to get my mate to get one at GSF in Glasgow and bring it round [:D]