need advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

potc1980
My Cars: Citroen c5 exclusive

need advice

Post by potc1980 »

I've got a C5 exclusive 2.0 16v 2004 and its got a few problems, was thinking of getting shot of it but to be honest I like it ! Anyway the problems are :-
1. I get oil on my spark plugs not much but I'm obviously losing oil and mpg performance.
2. The erg or anti skid system comes up as not functioning generally when its cold .
3. The clips on my bumper ain't great and I was wondering if you can fit a bumper from say an sx without the headlamp wash jets onto a car with the washer jets that aren't used .
4. Lastly my petrol gauge says for example half full the next time I drive my car it says its two thirds full , it does go down but then fills back up ? Tried disconnecting the battery to see if that helps ?
Thanks in advance
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: need advice

Post by vborovic »

For the 4th issue, I'd open up the fuel tank from below the rear seat (the round opening under the trip below the seat, if you take it out, right one) ... there you'll see a round hole, where the fuel level sensor is ... you could take it out, and see if it is somehow broken or has a failure (a simple mechanical thingy actually) ... maybe fix it or replace the level sensor entirely
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome to the forum.

I can't see any reason why a non-washer jet bumper wouldn't fit? (Provided your washer jets are disconnected or disabled in the ecu, so the don't try and fire).
I think you might fail the MOT though if you don't have washer jets with the xenon headlights (not 100% sure, I have been wondering this myself as I'm planning to fit Xenon's to my LX if I keep it - by the letter of the law I think you do, but I suspect it's unlikely, provided the lenses are clean so the beam pattern is correct)

As for the loss in performance and oil on the spark plugs, it's probably worth doing a compression test.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
potc1980

Post by potc1980 »

The washer jets aren't active I've got 2 covers so if I want to install I can , I've heard that the oil my be caused by a rubber seal being perished and put some rubber seal replenisher in and now I only have oil on the 2nd and 4th plug going from left to right .
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Is this oil round the outside of the plugs I.e. the half where the ht leads attach, or inside the cylinders?
--
Iain

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

wurlycorner wrote:I think you might fail the MOT though if you don't have washer jets with the xenon headlights
You WILL fail the MOT if the xenon headlights don't have a working washer system ...
But only if a washer system is fitted...
potc1980

Post by potc1980 »

wurlycorner wrote:Is this oil round the outside of the plugs I.e. the half where the ht leads attach, or inside the cylinders?
It round the top of the threads .
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Ahhh... Forget what I said about compression test then.
Not familiar with how the rocker cover/plugs are arranged on this engine, but sounds like seals on the rocker cover are perished. Replacing them should sort it.
--
Iain

potc1980

Post by potc1980 »

vborovic wrote:For the 4th issue, I'd open up the fuel tank from below the rear seat (the round opening under the trip below the seat, if you take it out, right one) ... there you'll see a round hole, where the fuel level sensor is ... you could take it out, and see if it is somehow broken or has a failure (a simple mechanical thingy actually) ... maybe fix it or replace the level sensor entirely
I'll try that if it starts acting up again seems ok after disconnecting the battery