How to replace the EGR valve on a 2004 C5 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moenbeer
My Cars:

How to replace the EGR valve on a 2004 C5 2.0 HDI

Post by moenbeer »

Hi all

Have been living with the anti polution error and a continuous engine/service warning light on, ever since i got the car last summer. Strange enough now it's bloody cool.( - 2 degress ). It's gone if the car is cold?

But , I found out the vac. hose had come off.. - Reconnected it. - But still no change. - So i read that the EGR kan be tested by sucking on the hose, and it could make a noise. - It does not... So it must be broken.. Car's got over 277.000 km on the clock sofar.

But how do i remove it? - It's jammed ind between the passenger firewall and the engine. I can barely get to the hose. - Can't see how I can dismantle it, or even replace it. And tips ? Go up from the bottom of the car, or ? - Haynes manual gives no clue to how this it done. - Except just pull the bolts and take it off... - add new casket when replaced. 8-[
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: How to replace the EGR valve on a 2004 C5 2.0 HDI

Post by jgra1 »

hi Moen, I haven't done this job, but.... on an older TD 1900 Xantia, I have a memory of removing a turbo.. I realised it was a nasty job and in the end I (think) I undid the upper right engine mount (supported the engine from below)..and with a scissor jack between bulkhead and the engine I carefully wound the engine away from the bulkhead and Voila! I had room and could see the back of the engine..
obviously take great care, heater pipes, wires, driveshafts, exhaust are holding things back.. worth a thought though?
I am not sure if I had disconnected the exhaust from underneath, and possibly the lower rear engine mounting as well.. just cant remember..

John
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Before replacing the EGR valve I would be inclined to try some EGR Valve cleaner through it. However, I would also suggest you so NOT do so unless you have access to a Lexia system. I used it on my C5, and although it did clean the valve, I then got a couple of temperature warnings (but I cannot remember where they were) that dropped her into limp mode (so limited to 3,000RPM).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Problem is I do have a Lexia system... it just wont talk with a C5 for some reason.. Cant figure out if its the laptop or something else.. but thats another problem i have to solve too.

But undoing the Engine mounts.. check. - I'll wait a few more weeks - It's freezing cold rigth now.

But the cars drive perfectly fine... - No problems at all.. - Just this stupid anti-polution fault. - But it's gone rigth now when it's cold. - Only to come back if I turn of the engine, and turn it on again when it's still varm.

But since it's cold, i'll try to get Lexia to work again.. Maybe it's the USB cable... ( i hope )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There is also a fuse that (amongst other things) supplies power to the Diagnostics port. If that has failed the port won't work (and a different member had an issue getting HIS Lexia to read his car, and a blown fuse was part of the problem). According to the handbook, on my 04 C5 it is fuse F18 (10A), which deals with the Flywheel angle sensor, the Automatic gearbox lever switch, and the Diagnostics port.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
BSC
My Cars: 2004 C5 LX Upgraded!

Post by BSC »

In the pursuit of fixing the dreaded anti pollution error on my 2004 C5 2.0HDi, I have changed the EGR and it's really easy. 30 minutes max. If I've described any parts wrongly, feel free to correct!

After removing the engine cover, look at the right side back of the engine and you will see the heat exchanger pipes which run from right to left at the rear. Remove the 13mm bolts indicated (there's one under the pipe accessed with an extension). You might get away with just loosening them. Then remove the 10mm bolts that can't be seen. There are either 4 bolts or two bolts and 2 nuts - I can't remember. But they are all in that right side area. The idea is just to get the pipework loose, not to remove it. Try not to let any gaskets drop down - keep a bolt loosely in place to hold them

Remove the two bolts holding the exchanger in the centre part. One on top and one under the pipe:

You will find a hose clip holding the EGR valve to the exchanger. Loosen it and leave to dangle. Remove the vacuum tube. Using a 10mm ratchet spanner, undo the EGR bolts which you will have to reach by feeling. The picture of the EGR below shows that they're right at the bottom of the EGR. Try not to pull on any other vacuum pipes. Refitting the turbo pipe is a bitch. :oops:

If everything is not loose, then I've forgotten a bolt somewhere! You should end up with this in your hand:

Obviously, perform the opposite to install. REMEMBER the hose clip on the EGR - if it falls off, it's a pain to retrieve! :oops:

I hope this helps.

Cheers
David
moenbeer
My Cars:

Post by moenbeer »

Arh, nice - thanks for the post. - I'll print it out for safe keeping.

I just found out 2 weeks ago, that several of my vaccum hoses to not only the EGR valve, but other valves in the engine compartment are all cracked for some strange reason.. the car is only 12 years old?? - My old Trans Am from 1980 and my old Mercedes from 1985 never had a cracked vaccum-hose EVER...

But efter changing the hoses, the warning light went away. - So problem solved without a new EGR.

So if you have a EGR problem.... start with the vacuum hoses first..
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

If there is no running faults with the car i doubt the EGR valve is faulty. If it was stuck open it would be down on power, if it was stuck closed it would run normally & it wouldnt bring the management light/anti pollution light on on this engine.