Xantia fuel pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia fuel pump leak

Post by Jaf »

Hi folks. Anyone know what this bit is and does? Diesel is leaking from it. Taken it off my old pump to have a look, doesn't have a seal. Might just try swapping them over?

Ta!

Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia fuel pump leak

Post by Stickyfinger »

Are you sure the seal is not still inside ?

IF ? this is the same as yours
[img]this%20was%20bollocks[/img]
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 01 Jan 2016, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf, if you have diesel leaking from there it normally indicates the return line back to the tank is blocked... Often at the very small orifice (drilling - hole) in the Banjo bolt just below the device in question...

The orifice in the banjo bolt is very small and is easily blocked but be careful when trying to clear it as it is a calibrated orifice and regulates pressure in the pump body.

Sticky, the picture you show is the fuel filter whereas the device Jaf shows in this picture is the thing just below the lid of his injection pump with what looks like a rubber saucepan on it!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think this is the right picture, but still no wiser for the part number / ref.

BTW, the part is not part 13 that's highlighted, it's just the way I copied the image.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, part 13 is the return Banjo.. The part Jaf is referring to is not even shown on the picture above Bobins....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote:No, part 13 is the return Banjo.. The part Jaf is referring to is not even shown on the picture above Bobins....
<cough> read the bit at the bottom of my post !!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote:No, part 13 is the return Banjo.. The part Jaf is referring to is not even shown on the picture above Bobins....
<cough> read the bit at the bottom of my post !!
I did and I've just said what it is!!!
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The part is shown on the picture, but it's not got a part number associated with it. It is just about shown above where part 13 fits on the diagram.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote:The part is shown on the picture, but it's not got a part number associated with it. It is just about shown above where part 13 fits on the diagram.
So it is! I thought at first it wasn't and was just shown as part of the casting but on closer inspection I can now see the vent pipe...

Odd it has no part number though...
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

CitroJim wrote: Odd it has no part number though...
Indeed ! I've been going through the various Bosch diagrams and found no other reference to it. Is it actually a replaceable part, or do you have to buy the whole injection pump to get one free vent pipe :)
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks everyone! As ever extremely helpful. I'll take the banjo bolt off the old pump and have a look first before tackling the one on the car.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Right so took the banjo bolt off the old pump. Looked at holes, said "hmm". But could I get the banjo bolt off the car?!? Stupidly when I changed the fuel pump, many years ago, I put the armour back on. It is just enough in the way of getting a socket/ spanner on the banjo...grr. Anyways I could see the holes, thought about poking them with a pin, but didn't. Put the pipe back on, squeezed the primer...and no leak!

Stopped for the day, too cold. Battery on charge.

Anyone know about this on the fuel filter housing? The white/ grey thing, maybe a bung, just between the fuel pipe and crank breather pipe. It and the filter drain are both leaking too.

Thanks again.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that's the fuel heater thermostat Jaf... In the cold the diesel is routed to a set of passageways in the thermostat housing - you can just see them in the diagram of the filter posted earlier... Leaks from here are now very common.

Leaks can be stopped by carefully sealing the exposed white end with epoxy resin or similar. The surfaces must be very clean to achieve a good success though...

There is also no problem in removing the thermostat completely...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Aha. Thank you. Will give a go tomorrow.

Just had an earthquake! Only 3.2 but the walls shook. Eeep.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote: Just had an earthquake! Only 3.2 but the walls shook. Eeep.
Hope no damage Jaf... Been through a few of those when I lived overseas... Once, heavily pregnant wife woke up during a little earthquake terrified as it was the first she'd experienced..

She was not impressed when I muttered, 'no worries, it's only an earthquake...' and then promptly rolled over and went back to sleep...
Jim