Xantia Rear Suspension Cylinder Failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Xantia Rear Suspension Cylinder Failure

Post by rory_perrett »

As covered in another thread, on Monday the sphere seal housing in the nearside suspension cylinder failed resulting in my Xantia estate bleeding to death 3 miles from my destination but unfortunately 140 miles from home. The circumstances of its failure was that we were off to a 3 day job, 4 in the car and a far bit of stuff in the back. On a minor road, over a bridge at about 40 mph and the next thing is the rear mudflap is scrapping on the ground. Pulled over and there was a river of LHM running out from behind the rear wheel. Anyway, long story short, the car was transported home by the RAC and this morning I fixed it with a replacement cylinder.

The one I removed looks generally rather rough.

But the cause of the problem is the chunk missing from the housing lip.

Looking at the photo, especially to the right of where the chunk is missing it looks to me as if it has had some work done on it sometime in the past. It looks like it has been linished or something.

Compared with the replacement one off my spare axle

it looks very bodged. I'm wondering if it has been welded up in the past. I was considering welding up the damaged one and re-machining the seal seat but now I'm thinking that perhaps that it is not worth the effort.

PS, used the last 4 litres of "cheap" LHM+ I had in stock, anyone spotted any good deals at the moment as I need to restock.
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Re: Xantia Rear Suspension Cylinder Failure

Post by KennyW »

Rory,

My seal seat went and I carried the Chris Morewoods procedure by removing the rim to level with the rest of cylinder and then fitted a dowty seal it works very well and no leaks since.

Worth keeping the cylinder as they are getting harder to find.

Kenny
Last edited by KennyW on 01 Jan 2016, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Poor castings on some of them likely. That and the fine edge with road salt, all conspiring against us.
Buying a new one, I would want a careful examination on the casting before handing £160 plus. Welding could be hit or miss too. You need a good match with the rod filler type and castings are tricky when the quality is not good, ie cheap mass produced , like these cylinders.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

I've still got some Dowty seals if you need some Rory, £12 each thats just cost price.
I'm glad to see you got the cylinder off without too much effort with the retaining pin.
Doesn't it always happen at the wrong time though.
Merry Christmas
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Looks like the old one has been welded and linished at some point in it's history.( you can tell by the pin holes) Not an easy job on cast, and always the possibility of the weld pulling away from the cast. Even with proper preheat, decent rods and post heat wrapped in glass fibre it's more of an art than a science. I used to braze cast for a better fix. Glad you got it fixed though. Happy New Year to you all, up there in Kemnay.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

ATM I am looking into this.....................plug all holes and dip/pour over and ?? a wrap of some form for protection....top off with Dinatrol ??.....will need to test it and see, that will require a heater of some form.
http://www.seba.co.uk/product-category/ ... GwodbK4I7Q
Wax Coating - Protecta-Cote

Protecta-Cote is a hot dip, strippable coating designed to protect tooling and other metal items such as: -Cutting tools -Hand tools -Engineering gauges -High precision components Protecta-Cote gives long term protection against corrosion, physical damage and rough handling during storage and transport. It is easily removed before use leaving a rust free clean surface.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

I think a lot of milling cutters and lathe tools are delivered in that stuff. I know we used a similar product which came in 4x4 " blocks. We put it in a white metal melting crucable and dipped cutting tools into it to dispel any coolant from the tool and keep it like new. Don't know how it would work on a car part though, as cold conditions and vibration used to crack it.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

There are also rub on type waxes which may be just as good. I will test a number of types over the winter I think.
It would be good to see "the best way" and "best product" for our specific need.

100% the best way from the off is to keep those areas clean of debris thus dry.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Yes AL, a coating of anything to stop ally corrosion and also any reaction from rusty metal oxide from spheres.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2